S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

run dry of oil - motor clicking

Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run dry of oil - motor clicking

Hi i hade a fool out of my self and ran the car totaly dry of oil then the engine started clicking.

It sounds just like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGf7L...eature=related

Is there any chance at all to save the engine? Anybody know what is damage?

I am such an idoit...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like valve(s). At minimum, your probably going to have to pull the head and pan and have it inspected by a mechanic.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thats no click, its a rod knocking.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM

I think its common on run-dry s2ks to spin a bearing. Your bottom end is likely toast depending how low you ran on oil.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

definitely not valves. Its a spun bearing. its the first thing to go on an s2k engine that lost oil psi. youll need the crank replaced/cut/ground/or polished at a minimum, and a rod bearing. Your main bearings are likely ok. your cylinders are likely ok too. Ive seen MANY low oil s2k engines. ALL of them had a spun bearing. All of them the entire upper end, main bearings, and cylinders were totally fine. only one bearing spun. I'm confident this is your problem.

Simply pull the pan and wiggle the four rods. you'll find your culprit. Usually, only one goes. But pull 4 and check them.

Youll likely be pulling the engine. The bottom case half needs to come off to do the crank recon.

YOU HAVE ONE SMALL CHANCE for a quick save that could potentially fix it permanently.

Stop running it. now.

Simply pull the pan and find the bad bearing. Take the cap off and push the piston up and out of the way.

If the crank is merely blemmed, and not burnt, find a creative way to micro sand the crank in the car. This can be done with a wrap of sandpaper, and a clotch or band wraped twice around it so it contacts 360 degrees of the crank. once its polished smooth, simply add a thicker bearing and plasticgauge it to proper clearance.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh didn't see that from Billman^^ hahaha
Old 11-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If the crank is merely blemmed, and not burnt, find a creative way to micro sand the crank in the car. This can be done with a wrap of sandpaper, and a clotch or band wraped twice around it so it contacts 360 degrees of the crank. once its polished smooth, simply add a thicker bearing and plasticgauge it to proper clearance.
did that on my prelude along time a go i got 50k more out of her before i replaced it
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Same thing happened to me after driving from Orlando to Jacksonville,Pull out my oil dip stick and dry,put 4 quarts on it and nothing.Engine was toasted already, got it towed to my house.Next day i decided to crank it and kabooooom,the engine exploded and broke the water pump and i had a nice 3 inch hole in the block, also a nice puddle of coolant + oil in my garage i learned the hard way to check the oil regularly.It came costing me $4900 to get it fixed.
Just wanted to share my part.Good Luck
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 AM

Thanks so much for your replys guys. So we have just pulled the pan and like you said only one bearing was bad. It looks like this:

Do we need to change all the bearings or just this one?

Does it look like I have any hope when you see the picture? Or should i just pull the engine?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 AM

looks like it spun in there for awile

Quick Reply: run dry of oil - motor clicking