S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rubbing sound coming from Drivetrain

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing sound coming from Drivetrain

Hey guys,

So I was on my way home yesterday when i first pulled into my neighborhood i noticed a sound coming from some where in my drive train. Its either a clicking/knocking or rubbing sound. Sounds like when something turns and then rubs something else when it reaches a specific spot in its turn cycle.

I'm not exactly sure where it coming from sounds like maybe the clutch.. maybe the transmission or Really anywhere in the drive train.

So i went out on a test run to see if I can figure out where the sound is coming from. As I was driving I noticed that the sound ONLY comes when I am in gear and moving.. if i put my car in neutral and im coasting, there is no sound.. and everything seems and feels normal... But if my cars in gear (any gear) decelerating or accelerating I can hear the sound..

So then I jacked my rear end up so that my rear tires are off the ground.. and i put my car in 1st so the rear tires are spinning.. I could hear the sound again..

the sound is semi loud and not tooo noticeable because of my loud T1R 70RT exhaust. but its seems like something is going bad or is bad. My clutch feels fine and is the same as its always been (buzzing but i figure that was normal) and now this..

any suggestions oplease advise! thank you!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump anyone know maybe it might be the differential??