S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rsx pcv valve

Old 06-29-2024, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

Replacing retainers doesn't mean they also did stem seals.
Stem seals are a common area for oil to make its way into the cylinder.
So we replaced all the keepers/retainers and seals. But we didn't and by we in mean my mechanic ... replace the valve guide and I'm starting to think we should have. So I'm higly considering doing it very soon before putting more miles.
I'm not sure what you mean by the compression test comment about equalizing.
My mechanic tool was old so he told me that it was not very precise, but what mattered was, that the numbers were all almost in the same range. whereas before, the number 3 was out of range.
No, there was no improper boring on F20's. The engines were not torque plated honed. The later AP2 engines were torque plate honed. This is an improvement . It doesn't mean F20's were bored improperly.
A leakdown test will tell you how much compression leaking past your rings....at least at TDC.
I'm aware of that but my mechanic does not have the tool for a leakdown test and I don't trust many people working on my car but I might find someone who does, so we'll see.
Try a different oil first. Keep it within spec. I am in the US, but have had luck with Castrol Edge 10W30 synthetic
So far I tried 4 different oils, last being the castrol magnatec in 10w40 but I might changed again to get an oil easier to find in auto parts in case I do a road trip and need to add up oil.
Be scientific about measuring oil consumption if you have not already done so.
I was doing it when the purchased happened where I would log everything in a notebook in the car but I got tired of it.
Now I just check the oil level everytime and it's fairly similar to my fuel consumption. Every 300 kms I'll add fuel and 300ml of oil. Sometimes more, sometimes less. And sometimes a lot when I try to go to top speed or do a lots of On/Off vtec because the traffic doesn't allow me to stay in. So maybe that's my driving idk.

I fill my oil to the top line on my dipstick. Then drive as I normally would, and check my oil on every fuel fill up.
You should check the oil maybe 5 mins after shutting the hot engine down. And be sure you are on a flat surface.
Repeat the check every fill up until the oil level reaches the bottom of the X's.
This signifies about 1L of oil loss.
How many KM did it take you to lose that 1L?
Fill the oil back up and repeat.
Get an average of your measurements over the entire oil change.
Don't do extended drain intervals. Change the oil and filter every 3-4K miles and use a quality, high detergent oil. Try different oils every oil change, if needed.
Keep checking to see if it improves.
Yea I never did more than 5000 kms on an oil change, it's every year since I got it anyway. So usually 3000kms.
But this is really bothering me to a point I wonder if I should get a used engine or do a complete rebuild ...
test
Old 06-29-2024, 06:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Venting makes a big difference to oil consumption. Still, your case sounds extreme mon ami - 1L/1000kms? I do 5000 kms (3k mile) oil changes on my '00 AP1 and don't need to top up oil in between. On top of that I am supercharged
Why not try Motul Xcess 5W40? Or Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5W40? U definitely get those in France. You will get every Motul product their because it is French
That is a lot but not extreme since you can read it in the manual.
Lucky for you then, I didn't choose to have a big oil consumption when I bought it used, or did anything on my own to happen. But today this car is mine and I'm trying to fix it ...
I did also try Motul Xcess 5W40, which is below the 300V, so I tried both and weren't happy with both. And yeah I do know motul is french, doesn't make it better imo.