S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

RPMS drop at idle, car stalls

Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Jan 28 2010, 08:44 PM
Weird. I have pretty much the same thing going on. Just only has stalled like 2-3 times. Usually just does a little stutter at idle when coming to a stop and then back up to the correct idle and sometimes drops a little bit again once in a while.
Done MAP whack, clean IAC, changed plugs. Still happens some time. Going to try and clean the throttle body when I get a chance and see if that helps things out.
I just replaced my MAP alltogether, its a seriously cheap part. Heh you can buy them from honda, and mark them up 15 dollars and people on the boards will always pay, ive done it amillion times lol
Old 01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I will buy one I guess if the throttle body cleaning doesn't fix the issue for me.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue... rpms would drop out at idle and on occasion stall out. I replaced the Engine Oil Pressure Switch and it fixed the problem for me. I'm now idling between 800-1000.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:48 PM

engine oil pressure switch huh? that's a new one i haven't thought of

oddly enough, I had to fix my hood latch yesterday because it wouldn't latch properly, and as soon as I did that, my car started running fine . . . it has stuttered 2-3 times, but only down to about 600-700 rpms or so, and then rests perfectly at 1k . . . no stalls at all
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Mine is doing the EXACT same thing pisses me the F off. To fix it for now when I come to a stop I leave it in gear til the rpm hit 1000 and put the clutch in. I know its some work but it works.

Tomorrow Im going to pamper the car. all fulids changed (i know thats not the problem) plugs,valve adjusment, clean the throttle body. And I guess that IAC if I can find where that part is LoL. I already cleaned the map the 1st day it started doing it. so well see.

Wish everyone who's going thru this gets it fix cause its hella annoying
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM

Vacuum Leak and IACV. Replace the IACV. Cleaning it only helps for a bit. I had this issue wit my SI. Cleaned, replaced with used... nothing worked til I threw a new one in there. I can't see this coming from the plugs. You cant keep an idle at neutral right away tells me this is an IACV issue.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Before you buy injectors, replace the PCV valve, theyre cheap at autozone, advance auto parts < $5 and around $20 at the dealership. After I replaced mine, the sputtering, idle, shaking problem I was having went completely away. My car only has 44k and the old PCV valve clicked fine when you shook it, it let air through fine and also blocked air from going the wrong way, but I still decided to replace it and luckly that fixed the problem for me. The only other problem Im having is that I dont get to good mileage, might be coils since I think I have an unburned gas problem. (muffler tip is dark) Any advice?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM

any update to this? i know its an old thread. I replaced the pcv valve. The symptom occur at cold start. Idle is rough and the car shake a tad bit. However when it warms up, it doesn't.

What can it be. I'm going through a tank with bg44k fuel injector.

could it be injector? (haven't replaced it or ruled it out yet)

can it be valve adjustment? can it cause this type of symptom?

have an 06+ ap2, i don't think the 06+ have iacv?
Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Reviving again. I've done a lot of reading and there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix. My car will sometimes drop idle complete and die. I have to hold the revs up with the throttle. This just started and happens 1 out of every 20 times I start the car up. Other times it's normal. I'll start tinkering everything myself, too, but it seems all the common map whack, iacv, throttle body cleaning doesn't really fix it.

Any hints or tips from anyone who had this problem?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ikaboo
Reviving again. I've done a lot of reading and there doesn't seem to be an obvious fix. My car will sometimes drop idle complete and die. I have to hold the revs up with the throttle. This just started and happens 1 out of every 20 times I start the car up. Other times it's normal. I'll start tinkering everything myself, too, but it seems all the common map whack, iacv, throttle body cleaning doesn't really fix it.

Any hints or tips from anyone who had this problem?
I recently fixed this problem on mine. It was the injectors.

Try cleaning them, or having them cleaned. I used SeaFoam on mine, and it seemed to do the trick.

Quick Reply: RPMS drop at idle, car stalls