S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid

Old 11-17-2002, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by chipperman
BBspoon. Yes I sell the brake fluid. If you've read the NEO website, you know the difference. I really wonder if you drive the car that hard, but racers use a lot of the stuff. We use it in the tow truck because I don't want to see my trailer in the side window!
I don't think you have to drive that hard to engage VTEC.

The reason I'm asking is that a few racer buddies of mine do use NEO motor oil and judging from their comments the NEO oil could be one of those "cheating bastard" tricks they have up their sleeves. However, they don't have s2000s. I wondered if you could share your experiences using the NEO 0-5W oil in the S2000. If you had no problems I would be very interested in trying it myself. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 10:00 AM

Other than better gas mileage and easier starting, I do not notice any difference. The factory oil is pretty thin, too. And yes, if you want to call it a competittive edge, it is. Just remember from my previous comments that 0w-5 is not warrantied, and says "for racing only" on the bottle. But I've not seen or heard of an oil related failure in 20 years. One big advantage to synthetics in general is that the viscosity changes very little over a wide temperature range, while petroleum oil has large swings. The SAE/ASTM standard is conducted at 210 F, and they do not usually publish values at zero or 300 F. It is in these ranges that synthetics shine. As far as oil pressure engaging VTEC, if the pump is ok, so will be the VTEC. The singular most common complaint/ comment I get is that the oil pressure has dropped. Yes, it will. The thinner base stock will flow the same or higher volume at a lower pressure. What we want here is volume, not high pressure; these are not air bearings. Grease would give you really high pressure, but not much volume. The flow pulls away heat faster, and that is the main enemy. All I can say, as I've said before, I've used it in everything for 20 years. Good Luck!
Old 11-18-2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by boiler
Well, I received an answer back from NEO and they told me that their product works with all transmissions. What an answer!

I'm curious to see how Asura likes it.
Just got back from Buttonwillow this past friday. I had one grind on the synchromesh the whole day. I changed to the Neo MTF on sunday PM.

First impressions are:
Just so you all know, this Neo fluid looks like olive oil and smells like bubble gum.
The transmission has that notchy feeling, coming in and out of gear, again when cold. Also I needed to rev match to engage 1st on the cold start. On the feeling once warm, it feels nice and smooth. The shifter slides easier than the honda MTF, but not as silky as the GM stuff. I only have ~100 mi. so far on the new fluid. I will keep updating as I incur more mileage. But so far so good.

Incidentally, I also changed the engine oil. I didn't have 6 qts. of redline, so I put in the 6 pack of mobil 1 I had on the shelf. I don't think the engine feels as strong as with the redline. Is this my imagination, or can we really tell the difference on brand new oil? I might try the Neo engine oil too.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:24 PM

FYI:

I've been using Royal Purple motor oil for years in all of my sports cars, including a 1.9L built motor that put out 380RWHP and 600+ RWHP Supra. I get it online from www.oiltown.com for $50 per case of 12. No affiliations, just great prices and service.

Stephen
'02 Suzuka

past toys:
'98 Eclipse GSX - BPU winter/offroad drifter
'94 Supra Single Turbo - T04R, 600+ RWHP
'94 Miata T3/T4 Turbo - 380RWHP
Old 11-19-2002, 05:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trbomx5
[B]FYI:

I've been using Royal Purple motor oil for years in all of my sports cars, including a 1.9L built motor that put out 380RWHP and 600+ RWHP Supra.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:02 AM

Price was brought up on an earlier post for this thread, and I just wanted to comment on where one can purchase RP for cheaper than another site that had been previously pointed out. I had hoped to help those who actually may have wanted to pursue the RP MTF route... to potentially point them to a better place for pricing. I'd love to learn more about other people's experiences w/ various MTF's for our cars before it's time to do ours.

Additionally, my intention was to share my experience w/ a product of RP. While this may not be of direct correlation, it does help to know if someone has had a good or bad experience with a particular brand or otherwise as well as the vendor.

Stephen
'02 Suzuka

past toys:
'98 Eclipse GSX - BPU winter/offroad drifter
'94 Supra Single Turbo - T04R, 600+ RWHP
'94 Miata T3/T4 Turbo - 380RWHP
Old 12-05-2002, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Redline MT-90 felt like it has been getting increasingly worse recently. Not only could I not get it into first at stop lights, but I was occasionally having trouble getting the car OUT OF GEAR! Not sure if this can be attributed to the tranny fluid, but I'm hoping so.

So, I finally put the Royal Purple Sychromax in today. The tranny was still a bit warm from driving when I did the change, but my first impression is a good one. After working the fluid through a little bit, I had no trouble getting the car into gear at stops (or while moving) and did not feel the resistance when taking the car out of gear.

I will post more tomorrow when I run the car with the tranny cold.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:45 AM
Former Sponsor

I switched from GM Sync. to Redline MT-90 a couple weeks ago, and I have mixed feelings about it. It is really good after a couple miles, but the 1st couple shifts are really difficult (when it's below 50 degrees F). It does seem to be getting better, though. The first couple days were terrible. Maybe my clearances are opening up a bit.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I am approaching the time for my next engine and tranny oil change, so I'm curious what the verdict is on the Neo MTF and RP Synchromax. Some feedback would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by DJ Qube

I will post more tomorrow when I run the car with the tranny cold.
was a long night :-)

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Synchromax Transmission Fluid