S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Royal Purple and future Brake change and bleed

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple and future Brake change and bleed

ok two things, I just changed the oil from Mobil1 to Royal Purple in the s2000. Still 10w-30.

and I think my car likes it! I don't know how much experience other S2000 owners have with it, but this is the first time I've used Royal Purple. I've used Mobil 1 in many of my other cars in the past.

Royal Purple change:

Before I even fully backed out of the driveway I could notice a difference in the mechanical engine note at idle to low rev. Then driving around after a while revved to around 4-5K RPM (under driving load) and the top end noise was much more quit.
I know some people think that mechanical noise may not tell you much, but it really does to some degree, not to mention the engine seemed to perform much smoother.

Brake project:
Nothing special, the point of the projects on my car or pure garage tuner mechanics. Upgrades are done basically only when replacement is needed or I can "prove" I've out driven the stock pieces and i feel I can upgrade to suite the faster driving.

In this case it's my brakes. This is both, need to replace the pads because they are worn, turn my rotors because I over heated them too many times and they have heat spots and are glazed, and cooked my fluid. On top of that I've never felt the brakes responded fast enough in certain "touge" situations.

So I'm going to keep the stock rotors, upgrade the pads to probably Axxis Ultimates, go with ATE fluid and maybe SS line. I just don't know is the SS line are going to make that big of a difference. I've never actually looked at the stock one.

Comments? thoughts?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 PM

ohhh yeah, is the factory honda coolant for the S blue?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be switching to Amsoil next oil change......we'll see what happendes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 AM
VAD

Originally Posted by joeydinc,Jul 31 2008, 01:02 AM
ok two things, I just changed the oil from Mobil1 to Royal Purple in the s2000. Still 10w-30.

and I think my car likes it! I don't know how much experience other S2000 owners have with it, but this is the first time I've used Royal Purple. I've used Mobil 1 in many of my other cars in the past.

Royal Purple change:

Before I even fully backed out of the driveway I could notice a difference in the mechanical engine note at idle to low rev. Then driving around after a while revved to around 4-5K RPM (under driving load) and the top end noise was much more quit.
I know some people think that mechanical noise may not tell you much, but it really does to some degree, not to mention the engine seemed to perform much smoother.

Brake project:
Nothing special, the point of the projects on my car or pure garage tuner mechanics. Upgrades are done basically only when replacement is needed or I can "prove" I've out driven the stock pieces and i feel I can upgrade to suite the faster driving.

In this case it's my brakes. This is both, need to replace the pads because they are worn, turn my rotors because I over heated them too many times and they have heat spots and are glazed, and cooked my fluid. On top of that I've never felt the brakes responded fast enough in certain "touge" situations.

So I'm going to keep the stock rotors, upgrade the pads to probably Axxis Ultimates, go with ATE fluid and maybe SS line. I just don't know is the SS line are going to make that big of a difference. I've never actually looked at the stock one.

Comments? thoughts?
I had the same impression when I changed the factory fill to RP. The engine generally seemed smoother. I've mentioned this to a few people and just got a from them. Maybe it's just good in GPW/tan cars. I've been using it for over 20K miles now, with no problems.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM

I use royal purple and I prefer it over mobil1 and many other brands out there. The s2000 has only gotten royal purple since its first oil change, but when i switched from mobil1 to royal purple on my offroad rig it got rid of a lot of engine noise I was experiencing. I honestly like it a lot and can get a discount on it through a friend of mine so I take full advantage.

-Ian
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM

I wonder if the difference in teh royal purple is more to do with having new oil in the car? I just switched from M1 to Amsoil 10W-30. I noticed my VTEC was kicking in later and later in the RPM band. I found that after about 4500 miles my oil was low. I used to check it pretty regularly when I first got the car as I knew that it was a common thing to burn some oil in these cars, but it always looked good. I started reading about how M1 just doesn't last so long in these cars so I made the switch to Amsoil. I also felt like the car runs smoother and quieter after the oil change. I will check the oil level after each fill up and see if the outcome is any different than before.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ian05s2k,Jul 31 2008, 07:55 AM
I use royal purple and I prefer it over mobil1 and many other brands out there. The s2000 has only gotten royal purple since its first oil change, but when i switched from mobil1 to royal purple on my offroad rig it got rid of a lot of engine noise I was experiencing. I honestly like it a lot and can get a discount on it through a friend of mine so I take full advantage.

-Ian
i might give royal purple a try. right now i use mobil 1 full synthetic...

maybe next oil change ill use RP.

its around $6.90 a qt here on base. and we dont pay tax
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM

well yes, changing the oil does make a difference, I drive a VW for work under lease, and they make us get the oil changes at 5K and there is a HUGE difference in the way the car runs.

And yes I was a little over on this oilchange, But I've driven the car enough to know, that's what I was trying to get across in the orginal post.