S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough start in the morning after TSB

Old 09-09-2002, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough start in the morning after TSB

I've been experience rough start in the morning lately. I've notice this after the spark plug TSB done last month. She grunt and shake a few times after I push the button and then she'll start up. It's not a smooth start I'm so used to. This only happen first thing every morning. The weather is getting slightly cooler here of late. I'm I being paranoid or something is not right?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:31 PM

I have also had a slight difference in starting, correlating with the performance of the spark plug mod a couple of weeks ago. The engine will start right up and rev to approx. 2000 rpm. Then, after a couple of seconds, the rpm may dip suddenly, the engine will stumble, and then either recover or stall. If it stalls, it always starts beautifully on another push of the red button. This stumble effect seems to happen more than half of the time. However, we have had a spell of hot and humid weather also corresponding to the approximate date of the spark plug change. Maybe if a few more members report in with their experience, we can see if there is a legitimate correlation.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try resetting the ECU? Change in temps sometimes plays tricks with the ECU. I actually am beginning to plug my car in overnight now since it is getting very cool overnight.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
Did you try resetting the ECU? Change in temps sometimes plays tricks with the ECU. I actually am beginning to plug my car in overnight now since it is getting very cool overnight.

Good Heavens, you're from Calgary, which is close to the polar ice pack. My S2000 lives in South Carolina, where the overnight lows are still 75+, and the midday highs are well up into the 80's. I am going to wait to see if changes in climate as our summer goes away make a difference.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:10 PM

We're still hovering around 12C at night here in Vancouver so it's not as cold as it is in Calgary. I'll try resetting the ECU and see if she'll get happier.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you guys getting the MIL lit (check engine light)? Just checking... Someone the other day didn't have the coil wires properly re-attached to the connectors on the coils (we think)... This would probably result in rough running and the MIL going on, but thought I'd chime in. Best wishes.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could also just be this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=77283
If it is, you should give the car a chance to learn. If it doesn't, then try something else.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:42 PM

With the weather changing, it seems alot of owners have reported rough starts. The fact taht you just got the TSB may just be a coincidence. Here's another link to some discussion of it. FullThrottle's post is significant because he's a Honda tech.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=79143
Old 09-09-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jelliotlevy
[B]

Good Heavens, you're from Calgary, which is close to the polar ice pack.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the link bash, it sounds exactly the case for me. I also left her off for a week after the TSB and found it hard to start. I'll give the key turning a try tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: Rough start in the morning after TSB