S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough Start After Car Sits for a Few Days

Old 10-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
When it does start (cold) do you get the 2-2.5k rpm start-up rev spike?
And the air pump? As normal?

It does go into cold idle mode, I can't remember the rpms but yeah up there in that range. The air pump does work as normal. I can start it up today just fine after running it yesterday, but if it sits for longer periods of time, then it gets moody.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds a leaky injector. My buddy had the same problem, his would crank 5-6 times before it would start. It would only happen if the car was off for about half a day or more. After the firs start it would start normally after that. I think all 4 of his injectors were leaking. After we swapped in some good used injectors the problem went away.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
Sounds a leaky injector. My buddy had the same problem, his would crank 5-6 times before it would start. It would only happen if the car was off for about half a day or more. After the firs start it would start normally after that. I think all 4 of his injectors were leaking. After we swapped in some good used injectors the problem went away.
Yeah that is pretty much what I experience. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel rail, you think I would be able to see the fuel pressure bleed off quickly with leaky injectors ?.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by s2000maniac' timestamp='1382385908' post='22838931
Yeah that is pretty much what I experience. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel rail, you think I would be able to see the fuel pressure bleed off quickly with leaky injectors ?.
I think you might be. Not really sure though.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM

I can get the car to fire up perfectly/quickly if I crack open the throttle by pressing the accelerator pedal during start-up, no issues if I do that. The car fired up perfectly last night after sitting for 7 days and with me opening the throttle. I might just do that when the car has sat for an extended period of time.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I caution you in doing that as that messes with the cars ECU. If the car is not starting easily on it's own without the use of the accelerator then there is a fault somewhere in the system. Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator to make sure the diaphragm isn't leaking ever so slightly? You can pull the vacuum line off the top of it and try starting the car. If liquid fuel makes its way out then you know that part has failed. The other idea would still be an injector that's leaking ever so slightly draining the fuel rail into one or multiple cylinders making it harder to start. You could pull your injectors and send them off to be professionally cleaned and tested to be sure. It's only around 15-20$ per injector and they'll give you flow sheets to show you performance of your injectors. Might not be a bad idea with the level of milage you have on them.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
I caution you in doing that as that messes with the cars ECU. If the car is not starting easily on it's own without the use of the accelerator then there is a fault somewhere in the system. Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator to make sure the diaphragm isn't leaking ever so slightly? You can pull the vacuum line off the top of it and try starting the car. If liquid fuel makes its way out then you know that part has failed. The other idea would still be an injector that's leaking ever so slightly draining the fuel rail into one or multiple cylinders making it harder to start. You could pull your injectors and send them off to be professionally cleaned and tested to be sure. It's only around 15-20$ per injector and they'll give you flow sheets to show you performance of your injectors. Might not be a bad idea with the level of milage you have on them.
Thanks Jordan !, I'll try those tips over the winter storage season. I'm using a set of low mileage injectors , about 30k miles on them, I swapped them in as my car was running really rich prior to them, and then it was much better after I put in the newer injectors. I do have a place nearby that services injectors though, I've used them before for my other vehicles.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

From service manual:
Check if there is play between the throttle stop screw (*) and the throttle lever at fully closed position.
If there is you need to replace the throttle body.
(*) you should not adjust the stop as it is set at the factroy according to the manual.
Maybe that has to do with the zero of the TPS & ECU, I donno.

I would be very tempted to adjust it too see if that changes start-up behavior.
IF it starts like it should with just the slightest throttle input at starting.

Use at your own risk!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
From service manual:
Check if there is play between the throttle stop screw (*) and the throttle lever at fully closed position.
If there is you need to replace the throttle body.
(*) you should not adjust the stop as it is set at the factroy according to the manual.
Maybe that has to do with the zero of the TPS & ECU, I donno.

I would be very tempted to adjust it too see if that changes start-up behavior.
IF it starts like it should with just the slightest throttle input at starting.

Use at your own risk!

Thanks for the tip SpitfireS, I'll check my TPS reading at closed throttle and check the TB in general, I've played with that throttle stop screw before on this car and other Hondas as I've run larger bore throttle bodies. I have a J's Racing TB on my S2000 that I've run for two years, but this issue only started this year.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked at your idle air control valve? Maybe it's not letting as much air in as it should be? Just another thought....

Quick Reply: Rough Start After Car Sits for a Few Days