S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough Start After Car Sits for a Few Days

Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I have noticed that the engine will fire up quicker if I give it some throttle during the crank sequence, easy enough to do but I've never had to do that in the past.

Too many new or clean parts on the car to isolate it to one thing. Starting the car within a 24 hour period is perfectly fine, it only exhibits the odd behaviour after 2+ days of sitting.
I have similar issue but only if it is colder out say below 5 degrees Celsius. I haven't performed any cleaning of parts near throttle body etc---could be the problem.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Could be a leaky fuel injector that's dripping fuel while the engine is off. To test, pull the fuel rail with the injectors still attached, turn the key to on so that the pump primes, then see if any of the injectors leak. You can put tissue under them to make it easier to spot.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Could be a leaky fuel injector that's dripping fuel while the engine is off. To test, pull the fuel rail with the injectors still attached, turn the key to on so that the pump primes, then see if any of the injectors leak. You can put tissue under them to make it easier to spot.
Thanks I'll give that a shot as my car is going away for the season in a week or so , so it will be a good time to test it.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What battery voltage do you see after those few days - before starting?
Is there a difference between no key and key in & ready to start?
What voltage do you see during starting? (not easy to measure with (cheap) digital multimeters as they are slow)
What voltage do you see with the engine running?

Do you have power where you store the car?
You could use a trickle charger on the battery and see if that makes a difference.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
What voltage do you see during starting? (not easy to measure with (cheap) digital multimeters as they are slow)

You could use a trickle charger on the battery and see if that makes a difference.

I tried starting the car today, after it has sat for about one week's time. I did a quick start up just turning the key and holding the start button, and I even held in the clutch this time to reduce load. The car sputtered and I had to fire it up on the second attempt. Voltage was 12.2 volts prior to starting, I couldn't measure much during the start-up. It started like a champ for the rest of the day as I drove around to many places. I energized the fuel pump and let it sit for a few minutes to test for a leaky injector later in the day, and the car re-started perfectly fine, so I don't think it is a leaky injector or it would have sputtered after that test TTBOMK. I probably started the car about 10 times today and it fired up perfectly each time except for the first start of the day (after 7 days of being down).
Old 10-21-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had this on certain brands of fuel ( shell). I found using BP or Caltex's highest octane ( 98 in australia) started much better.

I also use Elf 102 octane race fuel and this starts and runs very well.

Its a race car, I practice on pump fuel, then switchover to Elf for qualifying/racing. Its worth around 400rpm top speed on our fastest race circuit.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by SpitfireS' timestamp='1382254434' post='22836598

I tried starting the car today, after it has sat for about one week's time. I did a quick start up just turning the key and holding the start button, and I even held in the clutch this time to reduce load. The car sputtered and I had to fire it up on the second attempt. Voltage was 12.2 volts prior to starting, I couldn't measure much during the start-up. It started like a champ for the rest of the day as I drove around to many places. I energized the fuel pump and let it sit for a few minutes to test for a leaky injector later in the day, and the car re-started perfectly fine, so I don't think it is a leaky injector or it would have sputtered after that test TTBOMK. I probably started the car about 10 times today and it fired up perfectly each time except for the first start of the day (after 7 days of being down).
I'm not sure that your test is one that would actually diagnose a leaky injector as it doesn't give enough time for the test to take effect. The next night that you drive it and are about to park it for the evening, pull the fuel pump fuse and let the engine stall out. That way there won't be any pressure in the lines/rail, meaning a leaky injector wouldn't have any fuel to leak overnight. If it still starts hard in the morning once you put the fuse back in, you'll know it wasn't a leaky injector and can troubleshoot something else.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by chris_barry
I've had this on certain brands of fuel ( shell). I found using BP or Caltex's highest octane ( 98 in australia) started much better.

I also use Elf 102 octane race fuel and this starts and runs very well.

Its a race car, I practice on pump fuel, then switchover to Elf for qualifying/racing. Its worth around 400rpm top speed on our fastest race circuit.
I do use Shell V-power exclusively on the S2000.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1382311827' post='22837263
[quote name='SpitfireS' timestamp='1382254434' post='22836598']

I'm not sure that your test is one that would actually diagnose a leaky injector as it doesn't give enough time for the test to take effect. The next night that you drive it and are about to park it for the evening, pull the fuel pump fuse and let the engine stall out. That way there won't be any pressure in the lines/rail, meaning a leaky injector wouldn't have any fuel to leak overnight. If it still starts hard in the morning once you put the fuse back in, you'll know it wasn't a leaky injector and can troubleshoot something else.
[/quote]

Oh yeah that makes sense , I forgot about the leakage from the prior shutdown, that could do it was well. Thanks for the tip I will try that out next and then I might pull the fuel rail too. Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When it does start (cold) do you get the 2-2.5k rpm start-up rev spike?
And the air pump? As normal?

Quick Reply: Rough Start After Car Sits for a Few Days