S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rough shift from 5th to 6th

Old 05-03-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough shift from 5th to 6th

ok...so ive only had my s2k for 3 weeks and im starting to get a little discouraged The check engine light has been on since the second day ive owned it and now when i was bringing it back to NY from CO it would nt go into 6th gear. This only happened once on the way home and it now goes into 6th but it seem really rough both going into and out of that gear. When the incident occured it was like the gear just wasnt there...then when it did find the spot it just started grinding until it went in. I got some transmission fluid from honda and am going to try putting that in tomorrow.

Does the s2k have both a fill and a drain plug on the trans?
or is this something ill have to have the shop do..(pump it in from the drain plug)

also i noticed today, over the "clutch buzz' during deceleration, another sound...kinda like a winding sound even when i put it in neutral until the car stops.

Is it worth changing the rear diff fluid as well?
is the gear lube difficult to change?

hope my honda gets better soon...
Old 05-03-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not getting it into 6th (or any gear) is likely a tranny problem that a fluid change may or may not fix.

Tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, engine oil, clutch fluid changes should all be done since the car's history may be unknown to you and it's new to you. All these "How To's" can be found in the FAQs at the top of Under the Hood.
If you are getting a noise (in neutral) that diminishes with speed till it goes away at stop, then this is something that is aft of the tranny since neutral disconnects the tranny from the rest of the drivetrain. Look toward the rear diff, CV joints or wheel bearings, but don't take it as being something wrong till you can rule out the normal sounds of an S2000.

The CEL should be associated with some code. Find out what it is before thinking it's something really bad.

edit: Just saw your other thread and reminded me what your CEL is all about.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem too man i should have let you driven it and tested it out or someting xviper when we had that meet ... maybe i'm just being paranoid, but still...

edit: don't have the rough shift from 5th to 6th but i do hear that buzz sound when i'm slowing down sometimes.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DarkEarth,May 3 2006, 05:08 PM
i have the same problem too man i should have let you driven it and tested it out or someting xviper when we had that meet ... maybe i'm just being paranoid, but still...

edit: don't have the rough shift from 5th to 6th but i do hear that buzz sound when i'm slowing down sometimes.
I think you may be just new to the car and all the "special" things that go with it. PM me if you want to meet up this weekend and I'd gladly take your car for a short spin and let you know if anything is out of the ordinary. (And no, I won't abuse your car.)
Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, yeah would you please? i'll try to pm you, if i can get away from all the homework that is being dumped onto me. thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 08:14 PM

i found the right up for changing rear diff fluid and how honda is notorious for giving people the wrong stuff...i couldnt open the link..my internet connection is wicked slow.
what is the correct fluid to put in the rear diff?
honda told me a gl5 or6 90wt...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 PM

I use (and many members recomend) Mobil 1 75w90 for the diff.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by lude9285,May 3 2006, 09:14 PM
honda told me a gl5 or6 90wt...
There is no true GL-6 fluid. Best to not listen to dealer people at all in this regard.

Use the Mobil 1 as Jakup said or you can use the LE 607 if you don't drive the car in cool climates or you can get the GL-5 hypoid gear oil from Honda motorcycle division.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 AM

when i first bought my car i had the same shifting problem from 5th to 6th. it slowly got worse and now im totally locked out of 6th,its just not there, its not a hard shift,its not grinding, its like a 5 speed.Every one ive spoken to have different ideas of whats gone wrong but i wont know until we open it up, which wont be untill a few months time. ive got the same deceleration noise also,when i drop the box i'll be replacing the wheel and pinion in the diff so hopefuly all should be well.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteAP1,May 4 2006, 09:51 AM
when i first bought my car i had the same shifting problem from 5th to 6th. it slowly got worse and now im totally locked out of 6th,its just not there, its not a hard shift,its not grinding, its like a 5 speed.Every one ive spoken to have different ideas of whats gone wrong but i wont know until we open it up, which wont be untill a few months time. ive got the same deceleration noise also,when i drop the box i'll be replacing the wheel and pinion in the diff so hopefuly all should be well.
Not to scare you, but look for the transmission post by "Woodwork" (a Honda engineer).

He goes into great detail, with photos, about premature syncro wear cause and effect- probably caused by skip shifts up through the gears.

Your problem sounds exactly like his description in this post.

Regards,
BD

Quick Reply: rough shift from 5th to 6th