S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rough clutch came back, need help :(

Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough clutch came back, need help :(

long story short, car originally had leaking slave, so i replaced both mc/sc. clutch was still stiff, sticky and rough so pulled out the new slave and it wasn't even greased, so i went up to C&C northside Houston to have it done right, because the NEW slave already got a nipple like form on it. it was ground down and greased but not polished.after that's done the clutch didn't feel butter smooth but is less stiff, rough and sticky. it will "ONLY be butter smooth on COLD START", then after the engine warms up it became stiff,rough and sticky.

So recently i found something out being that the weather has gone really cold at night.

-clutch is butter smooth on cold start, became stiff and sticky after about 5 min driving in the morning with 62F-70F weather.
-clutch is butter smooth on cold start after work, became stiff and sticky after about 5 min driving with 52F-60F weather. BUT as i drove home the weather dropped to 40s and all of the sudden, the clutch became butter smooth....

im really tired of my clutch i don't know whats wrong with it, heck i will buy a new set of OEM clutch if that is whats wrong, but i truly don't have any idea what is going on with my clutch, could it be slave rod not polished? could it be pressure plate? could it be the whole clutch assembly needs to be replaced?

please help me im desperate. as this problem makes shifting hell and takes away all the driving fun
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Anyone?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not your clutch, its your throwout bearing. Had the same issue a few years ago. Went through a new clutch master and slave cylinder come to find out both were fine. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk
It is not your clutch, its your throwout bearing. Had the same issue a few years ago. Went through a new clutch master and slave cylinder come to find out both were fine. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the pointer!!!! Just called the mechanic labor 700. Fml -.-
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM

Yeah, You gotta pull the tranny out to get to the throwout bearing.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Yeah, You gotta pull the tranny out to get to the throwout bearing.
im kinda thinking to just go ahead and replace the whole clutch since its 58k old, because the tranny is gonna be pulled. would you suggest that? or oem clutch will last a lot longer and i just need the bearing replaced?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM

Since you'll have the the tranny out I would measure how much life is left on the clutch. If its 40% or less then I would lean towards replacing it and throw in a lighter flywheel while you're at it(Oem Ap1 is really nice on an ap2). If you decide to replace the clutch then look into replacing the pressure plate as well. It gets worn out through use.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bleed the shit out of it before I took anything apart...just to be sure..
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Since you'll have the the tranny out I would measure how much life is left on the clutch. If its 40% or less then I would lean towards replacing it and throw in a lighter flywheel while you're at it(Oem Ap1 is really nice on an ap2). If you decide to replace the clutch then look into replacing the pressure plate as well. It gets worn out through use.
Good to know I will update soon mucho thanks again!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
I'd bleed the shit out of it before I took anything apart...just to be sure..
Already bled t 5 times. But won't hurt to do it 5 more times. I will hop on it tonight!!!!

Quick Reply: rough clutch came back, need help :(