S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotational Play in steering wheel- Is a little tolerable?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm not sure if it's in the fine print on the Hondacare service contract. It may be in the dealer operations manuals. Contacting Hondacare direct should resolve the issue.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xviper crawed under today and tightened the two bolts that was stated above and the steering play is gone. The manual does say 10mm paly is "normal" but that shouldn't be the case, don't settle for it if you have that play. That 10mm play was driving me nuts, felt like I didn't have an S but something else.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerH22a4,Mar 5 2006, 10:26 AM
Xviper crawed under today and tightened the two bolts that was stated above and the steering play is gone. The manual does say 10mm paly is "normal" but that shouldn't be the case, don't settle for it if you have that play. That 10mm play was driving me nuts, felt like I didn't have an S but something else.
Good to know that the play can be fully taken out. I still have a bit of play and am not sure if it's the result of my own clutch job. My universal joint on the steering rack doesn't seem to have play. The play seems to be somewhere inside the rack. I tried tightening the pinion preload (the hex cap and huge locknut on the rack) but can't remove the play fully. Since I did the adjustment from within the engine compartment instead of "crawl under the car", I start wondering if you're talking about 2 other bolts? Thx.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the diagram I saw, there are two connectors for the column that xviper tightened, think he only tighten the lower connector. I am not that technical so perhaps he can chime in and decribe what was done.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by FormerH22a4,Mar 5 2006, 12:48 PM
From the diagram I saw, there are two connectors for the column that xviper tightened, think he only tighten the lower connector. I am not that technical so perhaps he can chime in and decribe what was done.
Sounds like the universal joint but I tighten it from within the engine compartment. Maybe it's easier to access those when "crawl under the car", Dave? Thx.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Race Miata,Mar 5 2006, 02:52 PM
Sounds like the universal joint but I tighten it from within the engine compartment. Maybe it's easier to access those when "crawl under the car", Dave? Thx.
Yes, I had the front end of Former's car up on jackstands, both tires off the ground so I could easily turn the steering linkage to orientate the bolts for manipulation. The upper joint is not easily accessable as it's behind a shield of some sort. I doubt that one is tampered with during a clutch or motor job.

I totally loosened the bolt the was surrounded by the rubber boot. I noticed that when I pushed up on the joint at that bolt (when loose), the splined rod would actually go into the receiving pinch joint another mm. Therefore, when I tighten that bolt up, I applied firm pressure upwards to keep as much of the splined part in the receiving part as possible as the bolt tightened. Then I double checked the lower bolt on the same joint and it was also a bit loose, so I gave it another 1/8th to 1/4 turn.

PS. If you tighten the upper bolt from above, you are pushing "down" on the joint. This may cause the spline part to pull out of the receiving part even more, thereby making for more "schlopp" when the steering wheel is turned.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:15 PM

so, there should be absolutely no play in steering??????
any pix of what to tighten??? i wanna try this out, maybe to get rid of all the play in the steering wheel!!!
thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by riceburners2001,Mar 5 2006, 04:15 PM
so, there should be absolutely no play in steering??????
You really need to pay attention. (This one's a freebie.)

Look at the very first post:
According to the tech manual, up to 10 mm of play is acceptable
and the one by "Former":
The manual does say 10mm paly is "normal" but that shouldn't be the case, don't settle for it if you have that play.
You need to decide what's acceptable to you.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:50 PM

well I am confussed because

Originally Posted by cdelena,Oct 28 2003, 05:03 PM
There should be no play. The steering shaft coupling was not properly tightened.
Originally Posted by billman250, Jan 12 2004, 09:38 AM
Glad to see a shop do right by the customer. I always let my customers check out their cars, old parts, etc...It's not like a body shop where you have something tangeable, like a new paint job to look at. Most people who get their cars repaired wonder what they actually spent their money on. There should be ZERO play on the S2000. The internal rack to pinion clearance is easily adjustable on the S should you feel a little play.

I was just wondering if anyone had any pix of what to adjust, because even tho the play on the steeringwheel right now is eceptable, if i can have zero play, then thats what i want!
thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 02:59 PM

Honda considers "zero to 10mm" as acceptable. Those who drive the car to its limits consider that the closer to zero or zero is prefered. However, getting to zero may be a task that is more trouble than it's worth to you.
It is not an "adjustment" that I did to the steering column "U" joint. I merely tightened the bolts that hold the parts together. This may or may not change something for your car. I have no pictures.
To do the "internal rack to pinion" clearance adjustment may not be something that an inexperienced person can do at home. I'll leave Billman to comment on this one.

Quick Reply: Rotational Play in steering wheel- Is a little tolerable?