S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotational Play in steering wheel- Is a little tolerable?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:01 AM

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

mine was the same thing except it was my fault. my car was on jack stands for over 2 months and when i put it back together i apparently missed one bolt on the linkage. it drove me crazy.

my friend is a tech for a dealer and he found the problem right away. he made sure to smack me around for being a numbnut

billman is right that there is no reason to have any play in the steering.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by djohnston,Jan 13 2004, 04:24 PM
...But there's the old saying "don't piss-off your waiter before your food comes." Same idea applies to me; if this guy is reprimanded for not listening to my complaints, and he ever works on my car again... Well you can imagine. If I knew without a doubt he'd never go near my car again, I wouldn't hesitate to tell his boss about him, but I can't risk him holding a grudge until next time he sees my car. And if I had more confidence in the technical knowledge of his boss I might feel differently also, but I don't.
Conversely, if you don't tell the manager that the work wasn't done properly, the mechanic could believe that doing substandard work is adequate, and nobody will notice. Personally, I'd tell the manager politely, then take my car elsewhere for most of the work.

Further thoughts: The service manager at Madison was the one that tried to tell me (and other new Honda owners) that running the A/C in a car didn't sap any engine power, I and several others disagreed, don't know if the guy is just an idiot or what.
This isn't totally incorrect. Your compressor disengages when you hit VTEC, so you don't have that parasitic drag when you need power the most. His opinion is probably based on the power loss compared to having the top and/or windows down. I've compared my fuel economy many times between having the A/C running and having my windows down on my Corolla. The fuel economy is significantly lower with the windows down.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djohnston,Jan 12 2004, 02:44 PM
paid to be a member of their service club, meaning I get really cheap oil changes ( and change), free loaners, and free food and drinks in their service area waiting room.
..... this is something that Honda dealerhships offer for free. did you get something more than just this? It's $21.95 at my honda dealer for an oil change. ALL newer hondas come with a free loaner car if you need it (that's offered by AHM), and any decent dealership has free snacks and drinks/coffee in their waiting rooms. lol
Old 02-28-2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by djohnston,Jan 12 2004, 02:44 PM
Further thoughts: The service manager at Madison was the one that tried to tell me (and other new Honda owners) that running the A/C in a car didn't sap any engine power, I and several others disagreed, don't know if the guy is just an idiot or what.
If you floor the car or go above a certain rpm, the compressor automatically disengages, so they are half right.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

[QUOTE=Wisconsin S2k,Feb 28 2006, 12:01 PM] ALL newer hondas come with a free loaner car if you need it (that's offered by AHM), and any decent dealership has free snacks and drinks/coffee in their waiting rooms.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Per AHM warranty and certified used warranty. Any service work done that requires the car to be dropped off at the dealership, AHM will reimburse the dealership for the cost of a rental car for the customer.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

As long as the car stays more than a day. Rentals aren't covered for 1 day visits.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 229 Likes on 170 Posts

I was not aware of that. Do you know where I can get any official information on this (other than "Matt said so" )? Perhaps I was misinformed or misunderstood.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Feb 28 2006, 09:01 PM
As long as the car stays more than a day. Rentals aren't covered for 1 day visits.
I should have clarified that. sorry. :/
Old 03-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Mar 1 2006, 04:21 PM
I was not aware of that. Do you know where I can get any official information on this (other than "Matt said so" )? Perhaps I was misinformed or misunderstood.
i almost want to say that your paperwork that comes with your S2000 on the warranty information mentions something to this effect. let me see if i can find an "official" source...

Quick Reply: Rotational Play in steering wheel- Is a little tolerable?