S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotational noise from rear wheel

Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts
Default Rotational noise from rear wheel

Customer came in today, sounded like a warped rotor. Rotational rubbing/scrapping noise from the left rear, which turned to clicking at 0.5 mph.....first thing I though was brakes, tossed on a used rotor and pads, no dice.

Usually you would tighten the axle nuts for a single click when changing direction.
In this case, it cured the noise completely.

Must have been the the inner races of the bearing shifting together, or the splines shifting in the hub.

I'd estimate the torque on the left nut before tightening to be about 70 Ft-lbs.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billman,
I am curious, what year was the car as the torque was supposed to have been upped some time it 02 wasn't it? (That aside the 70 ft-lbs isn't even close to the old 180 spec.)
Old 07-21-2005, 04:12 AM

Do either of you have a picture of the axel nuts? I got under my car looking to tighten them yesterday but didn't want to tighten any bolts until I knew what I was looking at.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The axle nuts are visible by popping off the center cap of the wheel or by removing the wheel.

Billman, your symptom was just like mine. Also like mine, re-torquing "solved" the problem. However, a few weeks later I replaced the wheel bearing since the noise came back and there was motion in the wheel bearing, enough to fail the car for NYS inspection.

It may be that I waited too long to retorque, causing the failure, but...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 AM

I had the same problem, but I wasn't smart enough to know when to give up trying to fix it myself and take it into the dealer.

For the longest time I had strange noises (rotational rubbing, clicking while turning right) coming from the left rear that I always thought were related to the brakes, since the noise started right after I put brand new rear rotors on. The noises went away one day when I had my track brake pads installed, but then came back the next day when I put my street pads in, thus further convincing me that the noise was brake related.

When preparing for another track day, about 1 1/2 months later, I noticed that my left rear wheel was loose so I finally took it into the dealer. It ended up being a loose axle nut, but I had let it go for so long that it ended up trashing my diff.

The whole thing ended up being an expensive learning lesson for me.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=blah,Jul 21 2005, 10:23 AM] It ended up being a loose axle nut, but I had let it go for so long that it ended up trashing my diff.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 AM

I can't connect the dots there either.

Maybe it trashed the bearing?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 AM

I'm just going by what the dealership says...and I'm not 100% confident in their diagnosis either. I actually took it in two times. The first time was to correct the loose wheel. At that time I still had the rotational rubbing/clicking noise plus a constant growling which started about a week earlier. I was afraid that the bearing was shot, but they said it was only a loose axle nut. I asked them if the bearing & hub were OK, and they claimed they were. I brought it back a week later because the outer CV boot on that wheel completely tore open (what a mess that was ). At that time, they fixed the boot and looked into the growling noise. Their diagnosis was the CV joint was OK, but the diff was making the noise. They claimed that because the axle nut was loose that it somehow caused the diff to fail. It's still driveable, so I shouldn't say the diff is completely blown. As apex2k said, it might all be a strange coincidence.

I denied the diff replacement and am in the process of obtaining a used one to install this weekend. I do have a fear that I will still have the growling noise after the diff install. I guess the good news is that I don't have the clicking & rotational rubbing noise anymore...or else it is just drowned out by the growling noise from the diff.

This is the first car that I've done my own work on, and I've learned a lot from this site and other people (thanks guys ), but I consider myself an unexperienced shade-tree mechanic. I know enough to do my own maintenance and be dangerous.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:55 AM

Hope I am not jacking Billman's thread, but:

What was the diff history? Recent fluid change perhaps? Make sure when you get the new one you get the right stuff in there. Honda has a fluid for it and a lot of people are running LE 607 with good results. Hope it all comes together for you.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:44 PM

No "jack" taken

Quick Reply: Rotational noise from rear wheel