S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this roof wear normal?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your top should always be clean before it comes down.
As for the 303 - it not only protects it from UV, it helps reduce friction of the top when it's down. You just apply it liberally to soak into the material, and then take a clean and dry microfiber cloth over the top to remove any excess.
My top spends a lot of time down during the winter and the hottest part of the summer due to the fact I run my hard top a lot. Interestingly enough, the glass will show the imprint of the top material pattern if it stays down long enough. I place a microfiber towel down over the glass when the top will be down for an extended period, and this helps dampen vibration as well. For daily top-down use I just make sure the top is clean before lowering it. My car is lowered and with over 70,000 miles.

I buy 303 directly from their website. They run promotions frequently and it tends to be cheaper than buying it from a retailer. You can also find it at marine/boat stores - because it's so effective at slowing or eliminating UV damage - but they charge a premium for it.

303 Aerospace Protectant (AP) was originally developed for interiors of executive jets which are subject to significantly higher levels of UV. It is so effective it found its way into the automotive and marine markets. They now make a number of fantastic products. They also make a product for true "rag tops" and other cloth materials exposed to the elements - however, do NOT use this product on the vinyl top of the S2000. 303 Aerospace Protectant is the only product in their line appropriate for the S2000's top.

A key note about storing the product - don't let it freeze while in its container. Once it's treated the material the temperature doesn't matter, but don't let it freeze in storage.
I daily drove my S2000 for 3 winter seasons in Oklahoma and winter trips in Colorado, New York and DC and it helps protect the top from the elements - snow and ice slide right off.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by RobEvans
Is there anyway to adjust the roof to stop contact? It really seems that honda are a joke at making soft tops!
The S2000's soft top is actually one of the best designs out there - trust me on this.
Soft tops are just a high wear item unless you know a few tricks to make them last longer.
303 also makes a vinyl cleaner. Based on the photos, it looks like your top has some imbedded dirt in it. You have to get this out to help reduce the wear. Avoid over-spray of the vinyl cleaner on your paint because it will remove wax/polish. Use a good quality microfiber cloth to scrub the dirt out of the material and make sure to rinse all the vinyl cleaner off. I've only had to do this once, and I did it at the same time I planned on washing and waxing the paint.

The trick to 303 AP is to apply it in the shade (gives it a chance to soak in better before the excess evaporates), let it soak in for a few seconds and wipe off the excess. The key is make sure the surface you want to treat is clean. It's great for every plastic, vinyl rubber and leather surface on the car. It also keeps trim and weather stripping like new.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, does your glass window fold down completely flat or does it prop up against the plastic just a little? Mine wasnt fitted quite right and the glass was not sitting perfectly flat when folded down, causing the fabric to push up a little and was getting the same wear you have. Do you have oem, robbins, or ez-on?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

I have an '03 and use a hardtop in the cooler months - I have shiny spots at the same places you have those white spots. I have used 303 protectant since the car was new, and I always put my hardtop on after washing my car.

These spots might be wear, but they also may be compression marks. Our tops are made of vinyl and if you press a vinyl with a flat surface, it will likely get shiny. I have noticed my shiny spots are much more noticeable after I take my hardtop off in the spring. My ragtop is original (9 years old) and doesn't show any other signs of wear.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM

I agree with Slalom44. My top has shiny spots where there's compression when the top is down. Obviously this will turn into wear if the top is dirty.
Here's some pics of my top I took today. Car was last washed a week ago and I drove it all but two days last week. I apply 303 AP to the top 3-4 times year, and that's more than enough. The pictures are not the best and have a lot of noise - it was my iPhone. I'll try and find the time to take some real pictures later this week.
This is the original top.
[attachment=18999:IMG_0989.JPG]
[attachment=19000:IMG_0987.JPG]
[attachment=19002:IMG_0988.JPG]
[attachment=19003:IMG_0990.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Is this roof wear normal?-img_0989.jpg   Is this roof wear normal?-img_0987.jpg   Is this roof wear normal?-img_0988.jpg   Is this roof wear normal?-img_0990.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 AM

Your top looks better than brand new! My top doesnt look as tight as yours around the rear window, the material on each side of the window is baggy on mine.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really seems that honda are a joke at making soft tops!
Honda doesn't make them IIRC.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Did honda not design the mechinism? The more iv researched worn soft tops on the s2000 its amaizing how many people have had torn roofs repaired on warranty.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Your top looks better than brand new! My top doesnt look as tight as yours around the rear window, the material on each side of the window is baggy on mine.
I'd bet you'd find most tops that have been treated with 303 AP on a regular basis look as good as mine. The aging process essentially stops once you start using it. The artifacts in the photo were likely the result of the fact the top will have a slight shimmer to it - even after most of the excess 303 is removed. All of my rubber trim looks factory new as well. My dash, seats and the rest of the interior also look great - they get treated maybe twice a year. My headlights look great as well - no crazing or yellowing at all. They get treated every other wash or so. If there was ever a rolling advertisement for 303 Aerospace Protectant it's all of my cars.

My S2000 sits outside in direct Florida sun at work - it's garaged at night. It was my daily driver when I lived in Oklahoma City (new to 2005) and the first year I was back in Florida (2008). Currently it gets driven about 3-5 days a week in the spring and fall, about 3 times a week in the heat of the summer, and at least 2 times a week in the winter. I put the hard top back on when the heat gets bad in the middle of the summer, and for the rainy months in the winter season. I bought the hard top in mid-late 2004.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444
Originally Posted by RobEvans' timestamp='1333970627' post='21589329
I'd bet you'd find most tops that have been treated with 303 AP on a regular basis look as good as mine. The aging process essentially stops once you start using it. The artifacts in the photo were likely the result of the fact the top will have a slight shimmer to it - even after most of the excess 303 is removed. All of my rubber trim looks factory new as well. My dash, seats and the rest of the interior also look great - they get treated maybe twice a year. My headlights look great as well - no crazing or yellowing at all. They get treated every other wash or so. If there was ever a rolling advertisement for 303 Aerospace Protectant it's all of my cars.

My S2000 sits outside in direct Florida sun at work - it's garaged at night. It was my daily driver when I lived in Oklahoma City (new to 2005) and the first year I was back in Florida (2008). Currently it gets driven about 3-5 days a week in the spring and fall, about 3 times a week in the heat of the summer, and at least 2 times a week in the winter. I put the hard top back on when the heat gets bad in the middle of the summer, and for the rainy months in the winter season. I bought the hard top in mid-late 2004.
Pretty much the same experience with my 06 bought new and never garaged. No discoloration on the headlight lenses, my soft top is like new because it has not been used after the first year of ownership and the interior is still as new.
I would have expected the lenses to be discolored by now and not sure why they aren't. I do put a coat of wax on them when I do the car but never really counted on any protection from yellowing wax. Maybe the wax is actualling a protectant? Either way, it doesn't seem to take much work to protect the car weather garaged or not.

Quick Reply: Is this roof wear normal?