S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rollbar/can't wait forever/progress/question

Old 11-14-2001, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rollbar/can't wait forever/progress/question

Question 1
There have been many threads about a possible build. I am wondering if there has been any progress from the last long thread?

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=rollbar

Question 2
Does anybody have experience or knowledge about this company? They do not make a rollbar for our car but they might be a potential manufacturer.

http://www.monkeybars1.com/home.html

Spring is coming and I'm about to go get a custom bar made to my specs but I figured I would try one more time to see if we as a unified front could join together and get something done for less money.

Should I have put this in Group Buy or Racing & Competition???
Old 11-14-2001, 06:31 AM
S2R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM Aaron Bitterman aka Desert Tortoise I think. He has one that is 4" bove the back of the seat and works with the softtop. He's going to work out some cosmetics before getting a GB together. It replaces stock hoops, made of steel, and can be painted in any color. It cost him like a grand.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:29 AM

I'm also considering have a custom bar made. But my requirements are a bit different as I don't need an SCCA-approved bar. I want something that won't require any cutting of the interior and will retain the stock hoops.

I'm thinking of having something designed that would bolt under the seat rails. Everything but the mounting points behind the seats would be entirely removable in a few minutes. The actual bar portion would slide over the mounting points and have bolt through holes to hold it in place. Remove those bolts and the entire bar will slide up and out.

I'm trying to find a local place that can build it for me.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:50 AM

Mikey - I'm going to send you a PM, I have yet to post pics.

I'm with you, I don't want to remove the OEM hoops and have my own needs. I want you to see this pic as food for thought.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:34 AM

I have another update from Davies2k. He has a full rollcage completed and is currently working on a rollbar similar to J's Racing roll bar. It will be strong enough to hold up in a rollover but probably wouldn't be SCCA approved. more info in the "quick poll" thread I started, link above.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:47 AM

I've been all the way through the Quick Poll thread many times.
Thanks for the update about Davies2k and his work on the rollbar.
Now all we need is Davies2k to give us an update or some pics and a price point for his creation.
I suspect I may go the way of others and do a custom job because I'm with Mikey, I'm not interested in removing the OEM hoops and I really want to keep the cutting of the interior to a complete minimum.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:57 AM

As of now, he has no plans to remove the stock roll hoops for his rollbar design. Either way, I know of 4 people working on production rollbar models. Davies2k, Desert Tortoise, and also Gregg's friend Bassem, and also 1 other that is working on one.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a place that can make a roll hoop, but the SCCA legality would be limited to finding an SCCA tech to inspect and approve it, that would be it. All of the construction IS designed for SCCA legality, it was just never approved.

There will be no need to cut anything or drill anything at all, but removal of the plastics will leave the car cosmetically unclean.

Also, triple-H, if you want the stock hoops to stay intact, then there will be *no way* for you to have a roll bar in your car. Of course with this proposed solution, it can be swapped out with a few hours of work.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Schatten
[B]
Also, triple-H, if you want the stock hoops to stay intact, then there will be *no way* for you to have a roll bar in your car.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:51 AM

I'm with Mikey, the Cusco bar is the basic design I will be going with. I have contacted a tube bender locally who has made custom cages for many of my friends. The issue with the Cusco bar is the fact that I've been told Cusco does not recommend it for track applications, it is more for show than for function, however, the design will work if the tubes are welded together and not lightly bolted and secured through the floor/frame. Also I do not have to worry about meeting the strict guide lines for SCCA because I will not be running in SCCA organized events.

I'm keenly interested in what others are doing incase someone else's solution would end up meeting my own needs. As of now Mikey and I are on almost the same page.

Good luck to everybody going down this path!

Quick Reply: Rollbar/can't wait forever/progress/question