S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Roll bars

Old 01-24-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll bars

Can somebody please send me the pages of the 'Book' that consist of taking the two roll bars behind the seats off, so that I can complete my rear window install? Thanks alot. My email add is GADZOOX632@aol.com
Old 01-24-2005, 01:23 PM

I just replaced my rear window this weekend.
To take off the roll bars, folwo the following steps.
Once you have the lower roll bar piece off (flat plastic w/ hooks), remove the gold colored bolts w/ a 10 mm socket. There will be 8 on each roll bar. If you have not yet taken the rear tray and rear tray trim off, you must do this. for the side pieces, there is a screw in the front, plastic anchor bolt in the middle and a center push tab in the back.
Now, here's the tricky part, the part I got goofed up on.
The removal of the seat belt mechanisms. there is a large bolt and a smaller crew holding the mechanism on. Once you have those off, take the mechanism off and unplug the yellow connector. This is where I goofed up. I guess that when the yellow cable grounds (hits metal), it can cause the tension spring to move and never let the belt out AGAIN. My passenger seat tensioner is working great, my drivers side must have grounded as it is MIA. There was a recall on that tensioner and my dealer is replacing it for free.
Here is a message I got when mine frooze.

If you connected the tensioner to power and ground, you deployed the retractor. (the only yellow connector) The seat belt is now a paper weight.

Just as an aside, never touch any yellow wiring in the car. It's for the Airbags. You'll be amazed what you can deploy with a meter and a jumper wire.

For the Belt to retract, the mechanism must be mounted or held in the same orientation that it is mounted in the car. Otherwise the inertia lock doesn't let the belt retract.

Feel free to PM or email as I am happy to help in any ay I can.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks so much man, how hard is it from here, after i get those roll bars out to put in this top, cuz im no mechanic?????? I like to do things myself and wasnt about to have somebody butcher this job up.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:29 PM
rhetorical

When you say install the rear window do you mean you're going with a hardtop? Sorry just curious what you're referring to.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 PM

To be honest, I didn't think that it was that bad. Bear in mind that my seat belt retractor got goofed up. Honestly tho, the hardest part was just getting everything out. Once I got that done, actually changing the window/top was easy.
Are you going to do the top or just the rear window? If you are going the window, I can send you a link to the directions.
I beleive that once the roll hoops are out, you are ready to undo the bolts for the metal thing around the rain rail. All that is pretty easy. Something else to keep in mind is that the bolts furthest 4-ward on this metal thing are in a tight spot, I lost a socket and the zipper and had to take a metal piece off to get to it. That's pretty much it tho, just tightening and loosening bolts.
Do you have your rivets yet?? If so, make sure you have the correct sizes. I tried one that was too small and no dice. For your brass rivets (if only doing window), go to a specialty fastener shop. I had to as Home Depot didn't have any idea what I was talking about.
If you get stuck, feel free to send a message.
As long as you have/read the directions, take your time and keep track of what goes with what and what goes where when, you will be fine.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Yes, i am referring to just the soft - top rear window portion. Thanks for all of the advice man, i really appreciate it. I allready have directions from two different sources, but if something comes up, I will ask you since you just finished up with it, thanks alot

Tom