S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rod Went Through Block... I need alot of advice

Old 09-11-2004, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rod Went Through Block... I need alot of advice

Today during the 2004 Dragon Ball run I had a knocking sound which I thought was my clutch plate. I found out that it was not my clutch when my engine when BOOM and the car was covered in oil and smoke.

It looks like I put a rod through the block. I am in desparate need of tech advice.

1.)

What all do I need to replace in a situation like this? Whats the difference between a short and long block?

2.)

How much does a block typically run? How much should install be?

3.)

How much would a blue printed block cost? Where can I get more info on this? I know someone here got a spoon block a few months ago.

This car is part of who I am... This could ruin me financially and there is a part of me screams "part the car out and get an accord'...

Please help and offer any advice or input, I'm on my last nerve right now and feel completely lost in the dark.

Feel free to email if you have any useful input that is better sent through email.

jason@galster.net

Thanks, Jason
Old 09-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportSport,Sep 11 2004, 10:21 PM
Today during the 2004 Dragon Ball run I had a knocking sound which I thought was my clutch plate. I found out that it was not my clutch when my engine when BOOM and the car was covered in oil and smoke.

It looks like I put a rod through the block. I am in desparate need of tech advice.

1.)

What all do I need to replace in a situation like this? Whats the difference between a short and long block?

2.)

3.)

How much would a blue printed block cost? Where can I get more info on this? I know someone here got a spoon block a few months ago.

This car is part of who I am... This could ruin me financially and there is a part of me screams "part the car out and get an accord'...

Please help and offer any advice or input, I'm on my last nerve right now and feel completely lost in the dark.

Feel free to email if you have any useful input that is better sent through email.

jason@galster.net

Thanks, Jason
1.)

You can replace just the block, a short block is just the block itself, a long block includes a head. You might need a headjob depending if your valves got damaged at all.
2.)

Used or new? I would try to find a junkyard motor as a complete motor can be had for the price of a brand new block from Honda which is in the neighborhood of 4K

3.)

You could buy a race crate motor but Im sure thats big money, especially without a core.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:28 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

you should be able to scare up a motor via wrecking yard for around $3k .... good luck
Old 09-11-2004, 09:03 PM

I would first disassemble and survey the damage before getting too far ahead of yourself.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:17 PM
RT

hole in side of block? get new engine
Old 09-11-2004, 09:21 PM

Well he says "looks like". You've still got to find out what has been done internally.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:21 PM

so how did this happen? Over rev down shift? Ouch good luck man!
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 AM

I had been in knoxville on the 2004 Dragon Ball Run and after running the dragon a few times began to hear a rattle. I was under the impression that the rattle was my clutch plate because I had slipped my clutch pretty bad a week or two prior.

We were going pretty slow when this happened I have never mis-shifted this car it has run 110% enginewise until this came up.

I'm going to return the engine to stock today and survey the external damage. I guess I will have it towed to a shop and get the guts looked at this week. The worst part is that the Honda dealers in Nashville are really unimpressive so I will need to take this to a private shop that does quality work.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:16 AM
RT

... spun bearing ..... rod failure ........ do you see the source of the oil flow? Hole in block?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:34 AM

I have the car on blocks right now and the engine is stock again. I cannot see the exact source of oil flow but it almost appears to be coming from around the throttle body.

I will most likely be transporting the car from Nashville to Ganely in Cleveland. Any suggestions on inexpensive car transportation would be great. I do not have a problem doing the driving myself I just do not have access to a vehicle capable of towing my car on a trailor.

Quick Reply: Rod Went Through Block... I need alot of advice