S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rod Bearings/ Cylinder Wall (Inspection)

Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Hard to tell on the journal, it looks okay but hard to tell exactly with the picture. Maybe be safe with a shoelace polish like mentioned above. The bearing needs replacing.

Before you take the rod caps apart try to move them with your hand and check for excessive movement on the crankshaft.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'll replace the bearings. The rod journal looks flawless it is really smooth and has no streaking or blemishes. Ill try and get a better picture. I checked the tolerances of the rods with feeler gauges for excessive play before and they were in spec. Should I still consider a shoe lace polish, what type of emery cloth should I use...

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by DontWreckIt
Okay, I'll replace the bearings. The rod journal looks flawless it is really smooth and has no streaking or blemishes. Ill try and get a better picture. I checked the tolerances of the rods with feeler gauges for excessive play before and they were in spec. Should I still consider a shoe lace polish, what type of emery cloth should I use...

If the journals are as good as you report then you might be fine without touching them, you are going to check the other three as well correct ?. Billman250 has done it on a number of engines, he'd probably be best able to confirm if you should do it or not.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id plastigauge to ensure you get the right ones. If you notice there should be a sequence of letters on your engine block (not sure where) that tell you what rod bearings honda put in it. I would NOT use any other rod bearings but hondas. I really dont think replacing them will fix your problem. From my experience either they are gone or they are good. It is a great idea to do since you are going through so much trouble. You might just be paranoid like I am. I did the EXACT same thing when I thought something was wrong with my motor. Turned out the engine is just noisey. And all my exhaust valves were bent And yes that motor oil wreaks, unforgettable smell. I felt better though by cleaning out all the old oil. When reassembling be sure to prelube with as much oil as possible.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM

Thank you JFUSION and _brandon for the comments and advice. I am definitely going to check the other three bearings and plastigauge them. I will order some new OEM bearings if they all look like the one I inspected. By the way, this is why I can take my time working on my dd s2k; I have this to drive in the meantime. it can never replace the S2000 though.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Update

I plastigauged the rod bearings. Here are the results:
1) .025 mm
2) .038 mm
3) .024 mm
4) .038 mm
I realize new tolerances are .03-.054; why would two of them be tighter than from the factor?
Should I try going with different size bearings. Should I buy one or two different sizes and install those to see if they work then buy more.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Here are the pictures:

#4 bearing

#4 journal

#2 bearing

#2 journal

#3 bearing

#3 journal

#1 bearing

#1 journal

Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by DontWreckIt
Update

I plastigauged the rod bearings. Here are the results:
1) .025 mm
2) .038 mm
3) .024 mm
4) .038 mm
I realize new tolerances are .03-.054; why would two of them be tighter than from the factor?
Should I try going with different size bearings. Should I buy one or two different sizes and install those to see if they work then buy more.

How do those match up with the grades stamped on the block?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

swap motors with WreckIts' car and call it a day?

He's a good guy, he won't mind.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM

I'm going to order a set of yellow and green rod bearings from Honda and see how they fit.

Quick Reply: Rod Bearings/ Cylinder Wall (Inspection)