S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Road Trip: Should oil be changed

Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clutch definitely disengages towards the middle/top of the pedal travel. I just double checked and I believe it's in spec.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I wouldn't blindly tighten it. You probably want around 1/4" or so.

There's a 12mm nut behind the pedal assembly. There's a rod that goes thru the firewall and attaches to the back of the pedal assembly.

If your vantage point is from the driver seat:
Loosen the nut by turning it clockwise. Turn the rod clockwise for less freeplay (tighter setting). Counter clockwise for more freeplay (looser setting). Once set...re-jam the nut against the pedal clevis. Check the play one more time after tightening.

Search for DIY's with pics. Its very easy to do.

But don't set it too tight or you'll chew up your clutch.

***never turn the rod with a tool. If you scratch it, you will chew up the rubber seal on the MC.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM

0 is measured when the rod you're adjusting touches the master cylinder piston.

Anything tighter than 0 is considered preload and will likely wear the clutch by always pushing on it.

Anything looser than 0 is considered freeplay. You want about 6mm (1/4")...but not much more, ideally. Some people like more freeplay in order to get the pedal to engage closer to the floor. Those people are weirdos.

Too much freeplay will cause the pedal to run out of stroke before the slave cylinder can fully disengage the clutch.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, thanks for the information! I didn't know how to measure the free play, but the when I push in the pedal, this little rod pops out. When the rod pops out, there is no space in between it and the pedal.

I ordered parts for the shifter. Maybe that'll help. If not, at least I now have clean trans fluid, clutch fluid, and grease.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:17 PM

There's never space between the rod and pedal. Freeplay is measured as the space between the master cylinder piston and the pedal rod.

You measure it by feel.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Convetional oil should be changed at 3,000 miles you can only do 7,000 miles 3,750 severe service with quality synthetic.
Not true at all. The quality of today's conventional oils is so much higher compared to fifteen years ago in 2000 when the owner's manual and suggested specs were written up. Today I wouldn't consider changing a quality conventional oil out until at least the 5k mark. In a Civic, or any other non-performance based daily driver, I would easily run a conventional to 7500 even in an environment considered for "severe service". I wouldn't dump a synthetic for 8-10k miles. Also, those suggestions in the owner's manual were for both conventional or synthetic. Changing oil at 3k miles is an old wives tale from 40 years ago.

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
The only problem I have with the transmission is sometimes hitting a wall while trying to engage into first gear. When I changed the transmission fluid everything got much better. However, yesterday when I was driving first gear hit a wall again. It doesn't happen much, but I'd thought changing the clutch fluid would help.
Are you hitting this wall while the car is still rolling/moving or only at a complete stop? If rolling it makes sense as you'll likely need to rev match in order to get it back in to first gear. If you're hitting it at a stop I would try a different tranny fluid out like the Redline MT90.

Originally Posted by jkelley
You need to put full synthetic motor oil in these cars.
You don't need to but I certainly would. I'd run M1 0W40 year round in the southern part of the US and other warm climates where it never snows. Redline 0W30 year round everywhere else.

I think im going to change the oil anyways, lol i'll feel better with fresh oil in it. Anyways my notchy first gear is still present. It's still smooth, but not as smooth as I remember. I already bought grease to re-do the shifter from eBay.
I would have recommended changing the oil as well, considering you're running a conventional, so good choice.

The notchy feeling you're getting is from the tranny. It has a reputation for being a bit notchy in 1st and 2nd gears. Changing the clutch fluid isn't going to help here.

No, I never skip shift. I do not know how to check the MC freeplay. But if I push down in the pedal it moves at about an inch, estimated. I use Honda MTF in the tranny and pensoil dot 4 brake fluid
Like I suggested above, I would try Redline MT90 next time around when you change the tranny fluid. As far as brake fluid is concerned you would be much better off running DOT 3. You can use DOT 4 all you want but you'll get no better performance out of it and you will need to change it far more often, compared to DOT 3, because of how much more moisture it absorbs.