S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Right rear wheel noise

Old 06-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear wheel noise

Hey guys,

Last week I started to hear an abnormal noise coming from the right rear wheel. I have searched throughout this forum and cannot find the solution to my issue. The noise starts at 25mph and increases with speed. It is like a "whooshing" noise that kindof sounds like a mix between wind a road noise. I thought maybe a wheel was off balance or something so I swapped the rear wheels. The sound still came from the right rear. And the noise does not change much on different pavements. I became concerned last week because I noticed the right rear wheel was burning hot to the touch after a short drive when the other three wheels were completely cool. I just had a brake cleaning done at honda 2000 miles ago and they told me everything was working as it should be. I also brought the car into honda a few days ago to have the noise checked out. The technician initially couldn't hear the noise, but after I pointed it out he could hear it. He said if it is a wheel bearing going bad, it is in the very beginning stages and he would not recommend replacing it unless it gets much worse. Although, he could not explain the increased temperature from the wheel. He did confirm the brake was working as it should. I bought this car 1 year ago. I am guessing there was some sort of right rear collision because I later found out the wheel on that side was warped and the strut had gone out. All of the suspension was fine and I had the wheel fixed at a custom wheel shop. Honda has inspected the suspension in the right rear as well as the hub and have told me everything looks fine.

So my question is:
1. Has anyone had these symptoms before?
2. Any ideas as to what it could be from?
3. Anything obvious overlooked that should be checked?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-14-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a rear caliper lock that did that. If it is the wheel bearing and it is getting hot it needs replaced.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I had a rear caliper lock that did that. If it is the wheel bearing and it is getting hot it needs replaced.
The calipers are not locking. I had this checked.

If the wheel bearing was getting hot, wouldn't it be making a louder/different noise than what I am hearing? How often do failing wheel bearings cause a significant increase in heat?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by gpep77
How often do failing wheel bearings cause a significant increase in heat?
I'd imagine if it's due to lack of grease or something wrong with the placement of the bearing, which causes friction... heat product would be ~100%
Old 06-15-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Bad wheel bearings can cause a wheel to heat up because of friction. To know for sure turn hard in one direction and then the other see if the noise goes away when you turn in one direction but not the other.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Bad wheel bearings can cause a wheel to heat up because of friction. To know for sure turn hard in one direction and then the other see if the noise goes away when you turn in one direction but not the other.
so if the wheel bearing is bad on the right, cornering hard to the right would make the noise go away?...and vise versa?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

The noise will go away when you unload the wheel with the problem, so you're correct.

Another way to check is jack up the car, (or use a hoist) have someone spin up the wheels to 20-30mph and grab the spring/coilover. If you can feel vibrations, that side has a bad bearing.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Jack it up, hold the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if there's free play.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Really though you can't mistake the wheel bearing noise. Changing the bearings isn't terribly difficult it's just something you don't look forward to doing. Basically you have to pull all 3 ball joints connected to the wheel knuckle, then with a hydraulic press, push out the old hub/bearing and press in new ones. OEM is best if you want to save money you don't have to buy the wheel bearings from Honda it's a common NSK bearing and it's used on various cars. OEM hubs are cast iron, the replacement ones made in Taiwan are made of steel, they're hit or miss. I've got them on my car because I had no choice at the moment but so far no problems, it's more important that the bearings are installed properly.

The main takeaway is that the knuckle is oddly shaped so it's hard to get it perfectly level. Press in the bearing using the outer race, then when you press in the hub make sure the inner race is supported because you can ruin the bearing if you press the hub in without supporting the inner race. When you put everything together use a little bit of oil on the axle nut face and torque it to 400ft lbs, just like the Porsche axle nuts. Or center mounted wheel locks.

For more info Google "S2000 axle nut tsb"
Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Jack it up, hold the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if there's free play.
That doesn't work for our pressed sealed bearing - that's a technique used for checking tapered bolt on bearings.

Quick Reply: Right rear wheel noise