S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Right rear brakes squeak/groan

Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear brakes squeak/groan

First a little background. This is my GF's 02 s2000. She was involved in an accident about a month ago. They replaced the rear subframe and suspension components on the right rear. Everything has been fine with the car. She got it back 3 weeks or so ago. This past friday it started making a pulsating squeak/groan noise from the right rear.

I've checked over all the work under the car when it came back, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to the wreck.

i did a search and came up with two threads that sound similar

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...ht=brake+squeal
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...ht=brake+squeal

My diagnosis is something to do with the caliper/anti-squeal shims.

If I move the caliper a little i can get it to make the same noise. I took the caliper off, the guide pins are fine. I put some crc brake quiet goo between the pad backing and anti-squeal clips. I also greased the contact points for the clip that holds the pads down against the caliper bracket.

When I was finished I couldn't reproduce the noise by moving the caliper by hand, or when driving. However on her way home last night she heard the noise again, but it was much less pronounced.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Some things I'm wondering.....is the OEM pad material one that requires a good bedding process?

If it does and it wasn't done properly when they replaced the rotor (pretty sure they replaced the rotor) it might have uneven pad material deposits which are giving the uneven squeaking noise.....that or the rotor isn't true. I'll probably check the runout on the rotor next time I have time.

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

TIA

Josh
Old 03-17-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update.

For some bizzare reason the noise has stopped. I'm not sure what's going on. The grease/anti-squeal goo might have had a little more time to work its magic.

The only other thing I can think of is the wet weather was causing some of the issues because it rained pretty much rained since friday and all weekend.

Oh well....hopefully it stays fixed

Josh