S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Revised PRM intake info

Old 12-24-2002, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am planning to purchase an intake kit for my s2k. anyway, i've came dwn to 2 choice, PRM or the K&N air charger kit.

wut do u guys think PRM or K&N?

i want to know if anyone uses K&N intake kit? (not the filter but the whole intake kit.)

i did a search on the K&N, and couldn't find any result. seems like no one have tried the K&N intake b4~
Old 12-24-2002, 10:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Russ, where does that intake pick up from? Is it picking up from the square hole in the fender well? If so, how much of the system is in the fender well?

I have always thought that the hole in the fender well could be connected to a duct leading to the fake cooling ducts in the front bumper/facia. You would just have to cut out the fake duct and plumb it up to the hole in the fender well. Is that how the PRM works?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 12-25-2002, 04:47 AM

Russ,

Good work on the PRM intake. I pretty sure all your experimentation and actual testing lead to the sales from this board.

From reading your past posts on the PRM you did mention that you were going to do a dyno. Did that ever happen? It would be informative to verify where in the RPM range the gains are. Never fully trust the butt-dyno, and the PRM racing web site is pretty thin.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:49 AM

I've got a gift certificate to use on the only dyno in Vermont (chassis) which just became operational a month ago. Looking forward to it. One hour for $100. Will post the results but I'm not sure how my Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust will affect the final results. Probably not more than 4-6hp. As for the PRM, here is a very brief synopsis of my own personal experience with the intake:

* I chose it for ease of install, the relatively short length of the "CAI" pipe (my opinion is short CAI pipes are better for high RPM increases than longer ones, such as the AEM and INJEN offerings).
* Checked out all the folks I could who use PRM (lots of turbocharged Subaru owners) and did not receive one single complaint on this system.
* Liked the different look and aggressive styling...people always
comment on the intake when I show them the engine bay...nothing negative but more like, "what the heck is that and how does it work?"
* The unit draws air from what I gather to be the flow which passes
by the front grille opening. I have also routed a more "direct" path from the wheel well but will aid further from this direction when I cut out the faux brake duct in the spring. There is definitely plenty of air that snakes its way up through that wheel well opening even WITHOUT the cut out but we'll see if it makes any difference in a few months.
* Routing a pipe INTO the casing did not produce the results I was looking for and actually seemed to "strangle" the intakes air path, resulting in a LOSS of performance; however when I stopped the piping just short of the intake, this setup seems to be working best out of all the various tweaking I did last summer.
* I think the K&N is a good choice as well and recall seeing a decent dyno plot from one S2000 owner who had it installed. As I've said before, I think all S2000 CAI's being sold now have their inherent advantages and disadvantages (however small). Probably none are more than 1-2hp from the other and the MAJOR differences probably have more to do with ease of install than performance. Perhaps sound is another option. The PRM is very aggressive beyond VTEC but relatively quiet up to that point. You really wouldn't know you had an aftermarket system untiil post 6K rpm's.
The shorter CAI pipe results in a very negligible performance increase under 6K but a really kick in the pants upgrade beyond VTEC. I hope to have a good dyno run to see if my butt is as calibrated as I think it is. Hang in there!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackson1628
[B]i am planning to purchase an intake kit for my s2k.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:50 AM

Staying tuned. I'm in no hurry since the S2K has at least 3 more months of hibernation, sigh

The actual hp numbers aren't too important, because of the gains are going to be in the order of the accuracy of the dyno. Not to mention all the other fudge factors that people seemed concerned about with dyno testing validity and procedure. IMO, since we're not doing real R&D (at least I'm not), the more interesting thing about the dyno plot is if there is mid, high range gain, where is it greater or if there is some resonance effects like the AEM/Ingen have around 3k rpm. I like to have a feel what each component's "character" is. When/if there are other future mods, I'd like to try to keep them of same type. ie. build high end power, build up the mids...etc. Still learning.

IM.uneducated.O a dyno with the Tanabe exhaust w/o PRM as a baseline and one w/ PRM would be good enough for looking at the rate of change of the hp/torque deltas. My wild ass guess is that the intake flow (intake, throttle body and ?intake manifold?) is more or less independent of the exhaust flow (header, cat and exhaust), therefore power gained would be additive. I would share your dyno concerns if a header/exhaust combo was being done, since flow through the header would directly effect flow downstream.

In any case, keep it up. Muchly appreciated.