S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Review: Motiv Power Bleeder

Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Motiv Power Bleeder

I've got an HPDE on Friday. And i'm pretty sure I'll end up boiling the stock fluid. Since I don't have pedal monkey handy, I bought one of the power bleeders you see advertised in the ads on this site.

Overall: I'm pretty happy with the results. I was able to flush/bleed my entire car in about an hour from the time I slid the jack under my car to the time I finished torquing my lugs....all by myself.

The ability to flush/bleed my brakes alone was the biggest selling point for me.

A couple observations:
-Make sure the cap for the power bleeder is centered on top of the MC or you won't get a good seal.
-Have a turkey baster handy for getting the old fluid out of the MC and for getting extra (new) fluid out of the MC.
-The fluid will look like it's flowing VERY slowly (or not at all) out of the bleed screw. Evidently, this is normal. I guess I was expecting a flow rate similar to when I use the pedal pumping method...not so.

Conclusion:
I thought the pedal feel and travel on my car was pretty good before the 'operation'. But afterwards...Wow! The brakes react...RIGHT NOW! Some might say it's even a little too sensitive. But I'm sure I'll get used to it. And the feel.....it's like standing on a block of wood. Strong and solid. I'm sure alot of the feeling has to do with the excellent (in my limited exposure) stock brake system on the S.

Cons:
One thing I did find disturbing....there was quite a bit of fluid that (I suspect) leaked out from the connection between the power bleeder cap and the MC. It most likely stems from me not tightening down the power bleeder cap. The instructions indicated to pressurise to 10psi to test, which I did. But then I pressurized the system to 15 psi when I actually put fluid in. So, of course, I would get some leakage. I just wish I had thought about that before I dripped brake fluid all over my engine compartment and garage floor.

I cleaned up as much brake fluid as I could reach with a rag and flush the rest out of my engine compartment (hopefully) with water.

If anyone is looking to simplfy the whole brake bleed/flush process, there isn't (IMO) a better solution out there.

mike