S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Review of J's Engine Torque Dampener

Old 03-11-2003, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you show us more pictures of where it attaches and how it attaches to the engine?

The only thing I am worried about is if it will put too much stress on one area of the block or head (where ever it attaches to) and cause a stress crack or worse a complete break. As the area where it attaches to was never designed to take any sort of stress in that way I wonder what would happen over time...
Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM

I will take some more pics today. PM me if you want more info. Regarding the area that it bolts onto. Remember this is merely a shock, not a solid mount, so it relieves the torquing by dampening the movement of the motor. It mounts to the hole via a bracket that is located right next to the headers. This hole is used to remove the engine via a cherry picker.

-ardy
Old 03-11-2003, 01:47 PM

How about the version without STB ??

Old 03-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking at sky-chicken's picture, it looks like the damper needs to be more toward the center of the block to prevent "off axis" torquing.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:04 PM

the version without the STB is the same thing minus the STB.

as for off-axis torquing, remember that this a shock, not a solid mount. I can't think of another place that would be more ideal than the one chosen by J's. The Postion of the dampener gives it maximum leverage to opperate without increasing the compression of the shock. Also, it uses a factory hole and requires no drilling into the block.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k

as for off-axis torquing, remember that this a shock, not a solid mount. I can't think of another place that would be more ideal than the one chosen by J's. The Postion of the dampener gives it maximum leverage to opperate without increasing the compression of the shock. Also, it uses a factory hole and requires no drilling into the block.
I understand why the damper is where it is, I just think if it is not acting at the "middle" of the engine, it could cause the engine to torque in an undesired way. Could there not be a second damper attached to the other side of the block near cylinder #4?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 PM

I would be interested in one of those, but wouldn't want it to mount to the STB as I already have Spoon. Is there any other version out for our car?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:06 PM

Depending on where the motor mounts are it might very well be right near inline with the motor mount. So the "off axis torquing" might now be a problem. Though the hole used to mount it to is used for pulling the engine out I still wonder as to whether repeated stress with heat cycling would cause stress cracks or breaking. As a engine lift only puts stress on that area for a small period and heat cycling is not part of the equation. So... I am still in question as to blocks ability to withstand the added stress. Though it is not a solid mount it is still putting a stress in that area when the engine is torqued the other way.

bryan
Old 03-11-2003, 07:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randman
[B]I would be interested in one of those, but wouldn't want it to mount to the STB as I already have Spoon.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Any idea when the left-hand drive kit will be available?

-Pete

Quick Reply: Review of J's Engine Torque Dampener