S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Review of J's Engine Torque Dampener

Old 03-10-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of J's Engine Torque Dampener

All I can say is wow. No more vibrating shifter, no more vibrating engine, no more vibrations in general. Shifting is improved on acceleration. Basically, engine vibrations gone! No longer will the car rock when you rev it. I was test fitting it for the left hand drive cars over here and so far it fits except the alumin plate. The fuse box bracket must be removed. Not a big deal b/c it's held on by 2 other brackets. The AC lines need to massaged out of the way. That's basically it. Well worth the trouble of installing it. I'll be sending J's a template of the left hand drive spec alumn panel to make things a tad bit easier for fitment. I guess the stock piece can be used but a hole must be cut through it. Besides, the alum panel is a few ounces lighter, if that.

-ardy

Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 AM

You could fabricate a small bracket to reattach the third leg of the fuse box couldn't you?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by S2kRob
You could fabricate a small bracket to reattach the third leg of the fuse box couldn't you?
yes, it's very possible but I found no need to reattach it. It's not going anywere and is lodged between the AC lines.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

you sure you got that battery clamped down good enough?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by 1a-race
you sure you got that battery clamped down good enough?
lolz, I don't want it pop out. it is small and light and all. ugg.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't you think this damper will increase drivetrain shock?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, it seems like it might make launching the car more difficult, since soft engine mounts provide some of the slack needed to get the clutch to hook up.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by gernby
Actually, it seems like it might make launching the car more difficult, since soft engine mounts provide some of the slack needed to get the clutch to hook up.
hrm. Well I'm not sure as I have never launched the car. Believe it or not but I'm the panziest driver out there when it comes to shifting fast/hard. It doesn't make sense to me why people do as it does take a toll on the drivetrain. To all their own as they say. The typical trend in road racing is to replace mounts with stiffer rubber or even solid mounts, but those are for full blown track only race cars. The dampener allows for a similar feeling minus the stiff engine mounts. In a way, it solves a problem of engine movement without creating another.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by vapors2k

hrm. Well I'm not sure as I have never launched the car. Believe it or not but I'm the panziest driver out there when it comes to shifting fast/hard. It doesn't make sense to me why people do as it does take a toll on the drivetrain. To all their own as they say. The typical trend in road racing is to replace mounts with stiffer rubber or even solid mounts, but those are for full blown track only race cars. The dampener allows for a similar feeling minus the stiff engine mounts. In a way, it solves a problem of engine movement without creating another.
Ardy-

What does the dampener mount to on the engine side? Is the aluminum plate necessary? Thanks for the great post - very informative.

-YS
Old 03-11-2003, 03:35 AM

whos has this in stock and how much

Quick Reply: Review of J's Engine Torque Dampener