S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Reverse Ringer

Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Ringer

Ok I was in the Hollywood Hills yesterday in MY05 with 8.5k miles on it, and parked on a hill. I needed to turn around and I put the car in reverse, released the clutch, hit the gas and... the car lurched backwards a bit then stopped and started making a nasty "ringing" sound. With me being retarded I thought maybe I didnt put it in reverse all the way, tried again same noise, then I put it in first released the clutch a little then put it in reverse and was finally able to get the car to move a few feet before I could move forward to turn around. I didnt smell any toasty clutch smell. The clutch has seemed a little funny the last month or so though nothing that I can put my finger on... just oddities like sometimes I dont think the clutch is fully engaged when I press the pedal all the way down.

I called the dealer and they said the clutch is considered a "wear and tear" part of the drive train so if it was the cluctch I might be paying for it. So I am going to drop it off at the dealer to have them check it out but do you guys think it is the clutch or maybe the synchro/gear in tranny? Living in LA and driving in traffic every day do you think this could have toasted my clutch? Previous "burnt" clutch smell was from when the car was at 2k miles from driving one night in the San Francisco hills.

This car is my daily driver, I dont race it or dump the clutch, the delay valve is still in the car, my previous car was a MY00 that I had until 95K.

I need to check the fluid for the clutch as I havent checked that yet, is there anything else I should look at?

Bought at 500 miles, certified pre-owned Honda warranty 100K powertrain.
MY05
8500 Miles

Thanks,

Any info is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM

Well since any info is appreciated, I'll throw my layman's 2 cents in.

As someone who drove a MY00 for 95k miles, I doubt you would have damaged your brand-new clutch enough in 8.5k miles in stop-and-go daily driving to cause what you're describing here (which has yet to be diagnosed, might be unrelated).

Could you describe this ringing noise? Are we talking about the kind of ringing a bell makes (I doubt), or the kind an oscillator would make? I'm not really sure if I understood that part. Might be beneficial to others who might want to chime in if you described the noise a bit more in detail.

This guy is also having problems with his brand new (its an 06, how many miles could he have on it?) clutch (smell, slippage). Might want to keep on eye on his developments, this might be an AP2 thing; I'm referring to the clutch odor you smelled when the car was at 2k miles--which might just be the clutch breaking in, although I'm doubtful.

Good luck with it all.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Unhappy

Ok so I definately smoked a piece of my clutch in SF at 2k miles or so.. but it only happened once due to a steep high % grade on a hill in SF, stopped at a stop sign went to go and had to hit it at 5000rpm and dump the clutch to get the car to get up the hill. But I dont think that one time is enough to blow the whole freaking thing with it being new and all.

So the ringing sound... once I released the clutch with it in reverse it sounded like a bearing spinning with nothing attached to it.... so rod --}-- in a bearing spinning freely but making a metallic sound since it isnt actually doing anything. I guess thats the best I can describe it for now.

I checked the brake and clutch fluid and they were both looked the same with a golden "honey" look if that matters.

Suggestion?