S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Reverse press down, HARD

Old 10-16-2016, 12:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Reverse press down, HARD

So just recently the actual movement of pushing the shifter down has been super hard.
Going into gear and all others perfect, no problem.

When I did my clutch it looked like the old grease had turned into a grey like hardened grease I guess but instead of cleaning it off I dipped it into the new urea and went on my way. Of course Im gonna pull and thoroughly clean it all off and add new Honda hi temp urea grease but just wondering if its not this maybe someone else has heard of it and cause.

In the morning it feels easier and after that its just super hard. I think its treatable with plan above but wow would it cause this much force to hold it like that. Im talking shoulder and half of my upper torso pretty much to get it down and then after I have to pull it back up so I dont accidently mis shift.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
So just recently the actual movement of pushing the shifter down has been super hard.
Going into gear and all others perfect, no problem.

When I did my clutch it looked like the old grease had turned into a grey like hardened grease I guess but instead of cleaning it off I dipped it into the new urea and went on my way. Of course Im gonna pull and thoroughly clean it all off and add new Honda hi temp urea grease but just wondering if its not this maybe someone else has heard of it and cause.

In the morning it feels easier and after that its just super hard. I think its treatable with plan above but wow would it cause this much force to hold it like that. Im talking shoulder and half of my upper torso pretty much to get it down and then after I have to pull it back up so I dont accidently mis shift.
This is obviously not just a grease issue. It sounds like the plastic tip on the end of the shifter is damaged. You'll know when you get it apart to regrease. That part is not costly from Honda.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Thanks car, ya I agree. The grease looked old and cruddy but didn't think it would equal that much friction to hold it like that. Had other stuff going on this weekend but maybe I can find some time this week. It is my DD so if I take it apart and it's one of these things that it just falls apart and is not reversible. I'd feel better to have the parts on hand to just do the service. I'll update once I get the parts or I check it out.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:27 PM

Ok! Solo lol check this out not sure how only thing I can think is that the aloha car wash undercarriage sprayer is some getting through, not sure that I remember water being in there when I did clutch so.

Name:  IMG_20161017_171105950_zpswpjxtctl.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  226.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20161017_172026024_zpsilllk6cy.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  210.4 KB

Well I'm gonna get to cleanin. And never spray the bottom of my car again

Can anyone confirm that water is not in my lower transmission case. It only took me a couple of minutes to soak up so it seems like it is a separate enclosure.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM

Well that was not fun and didn't fix it either. Once I pulled the cup thing off it like would not fit into its hole and I'm talking about the bigger one. Fml
Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/989...k/page__st__25

This is me unfortunately

Over the weekend I'm thinking about pouring marvel mystery oil in there and letting it sit over the weekend and then sucking n soaking it back out and replacing with a crap ton of Honda hi temp urea grease.
Unfortunate to say the least but glad I finally pulled it to see what the heck was going on.

If anyone does decide to service inspect/ clean I seemed to have the same problem as the link above, as far as pulling the larger nylon cup thing. It slid right in perfect when I did clutch (the last time I had it out) but today when I pulled it off to clean and re grease it was super hard to get it to slide back in place...weird. one time use maybe? Idk but exact thing happened to this guy as me.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Happy to report the push down is getting better, it wasn't instant but the grease and absence! Of water must be working itself in.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:35 AM

Little update, after re grease, cleaning, and no water present it helped but still wasn't like new. I went ahead and purchased the fairly cheap shifter mod from car amis on nengun I believe who makes it.

I pulled everything apart again dumped Marvel mystery oil practically to the brim installed shifter and worked the push down n up for a little bit.

After removal sucked out all the Marvel and re greased again with a lot of urea hi temp oem stuff, and happy to report after reverse the shifter comes up on its own now, I still can't even believe it. I keep checking n the gate is locked everytime.

Initial plan was to let it sit overnight but wanted to install new part and see if Marvel oil helped at all. Anyone with this problem, I recommend this fix for sho.

Take care!