S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rev limiter engaging in 2nd @ 7-8k RPM's

Old 11-29-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev limiter engaging in 2nd @ 7-8k RPM's

First off this is not a regular occurrence, but it has been happening more frequently lately and it's starting to really concern me. When this problem first happened I was in autox about to shift from 2nd to 3rd and all of the sudden I lose power and it's like the clutch engaged itself and the rpm's started to drop by about 500-1k and then it engaged again and I had power. I thought that I hadn't been paying attention to my rpm's and maybe bounced it off the rev limiter and that's why it disengaged but later in the day and on a few other occasions it happened again and I was carefully watching my rpm's and it was happening at about 7-8k rpm's. For some reason it only happens in second and I have no clue why. I recently did a compression test and swapped out the oil and every thing seems to be fine and dandy. Could it be fuel related? I've noticed that I've had half a tank or less every time it's happened. Any ideas skiers?

***Oh and the car was also warmed up for more than 15 minutes every time before the problem occurred, but it feels exactly like it does when you try and get into the higher rpm's when the engine is cold and it prevents you by cutting the power.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 PM

No one?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 AM

sorry.. no ideas here. any error codes thrown?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 AM

sounds like the Vtec oil pressure sensor was turning off vtec.. low oil? take off the Vtec and see if the screens are blocked
if not vtec then your fuel is what i would look at next"pump etc"
Old 11-30-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sounds like an oil issue with VTEC. Perhaps the reason it occured in 2nd was because of the movement of the car caused a slight oil starvation issue that coincided with the taking of a turn while in 2nd gear. Are you sure oil was up all the way at the times it occured?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM

There wasn't a CEL or anything. I checked the oil and it wasn't too low, but I have notice that 3/4 times that the problem happened was when i was going around a turn at high speed during autox. The other time was just when I was on a straight stretch of road having fun with vtec. It could be likely that it could be an oil issue, it could be likely that it's the aftermarket fuel pump that I put in a few months ago.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:18 PM

on the aftermarket fuel pump did you put the sock on it? your fuel level gauge arm mite be hitting the sock and it will show more fuel than there really is in the tank ..

oh and as Billman250 always says
If you pull the stick, and it reads perfect on one side, and shows nothing on the other, you HAVE NOTHING. Both sides of the stick must read the same. The reason one side reads and the other does not is because the stick takes a layer of oil off the inside of the engine on the way out.

So note to all, check BOTH SIDES of the stick, always.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 AM

^^This. Double check the oil. Make sure you read both sides of the stick to ensure you have the proper amount. If that isn't the issue, then double check your fuel pump.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Yikes okay someone told me early on that you just go with the higher reading on the stick. Thanks for telling me that. I'll probably go top it off right now. And to answer your question about the fuel pump yes the sock is on it, it's probably just the oil because I've been reading it wrong all this time.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM

If your oil is that low you better make sure you didnt do any damage revining it that high.

Quick Reply: Rev limiter engaging in 2nd @ 7-8k RPM's