S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rev limiter

Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I laugh every time somebody says "maybe xviper will answer" or something like that. Don't get me wrong, xviper is very knowledgeable, and definitely contributes his answers to a lot of these threads, but there are a gazillion other people on her that would also have the answer(s) to most of these threads.

Anyway... to vtec9... I haven't heard your noise, but when my timing chain tensioner starts to go bad, I also get an odd noise when I lift to shift gears in VTEC. Mine is more of a whirring noise, though... but when the engine is screaming at 6-9K rpms, it seems possible that someone might not easily be able to make the distinction.

If it's only occurred 2 times over the course of several months, it'll probably be difficult to diagnose, but you could start with a compression test and/or leak-down test.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Aug 4 2006, 03:38 PM

If it's only occurred 2 times over the course of several months, it'll probably be difficult to diagnose, but you could start with a compression test and/or leak-down test.
thats pretty much why I kind of dismissed it, but reading this has got me pretty worried. I think I'm going to do some tests this weekend. I do know when I heard it happen the 2nd time around, I tried to reproduce it to get some info. I'm pretty sure I didn't hear it when I just lifted off the gas to coast.. I had to take the car out of gear as well as if to shift.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum fills me full of dread every time I read it too. Then I go out and drive my '2k and it goes away.

I'm depending on periodic maintanence and a sane owner to keep my car running a long time. Car's break, there's no doubt about that but, 90% of the time it's poor maintainance or something stupid like running a B series engine designed for 8K RPM's at 10-11K RPMs (which is BUTT stupid but, I guess you learned). You're lucky you didn't snap a connecting rod and shove it through the block.

The valves are just one of many parts that need upgrades to increase the RPM's safely. What happens to your piston to valve clearance when you increase the RPM's? Don't know huh? Well, they get closer because the rods stretch.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFRS2kSi,Aug 3 2006, 05:33 PM
by installing rev limiter.
but y?
your not gonna make more power by reving higher.
your risking ur motor from detonate
Nope and nope. You can't raise the stock rev-limiter by installing an aftermarket rev-limiter. Its not detonation our rev-limiter is protecting us from.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Aug 4 2006, 03:16 PM
This forum fills me full of dread every time I read it too.
I had the same problem when I first got my car, but eventually I figured out that I was worrying for naught. After you've been hanging around here long enough you start to realize that most of the membership has had few if any problems with their car(s).

I think the incident that worried me the most was when one of the guys blew a sparkplug, crushed the coil above the plug, and sucked the wire from the coil down into both the combustion chamber and the *crankcase*!!!
I'm STILL paranoid about the plugs and check their torque regularly.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ek9,Aug 4 2006, 12:16 PM
This forum fills me full of dread every time I read it too. Then I go out and drive my '2k and it goes away.

I'm depending on periodic maintanence and a sane owner to keep my car running a long time. Car's break, there's no doubt about that but, 90% of the time it's poor maintainance or something stupid like running a B series engine designed for 8K RPM's at 10-11K RPMs (which is BUTT stupid but, I guess you learned). You're lucky you didn't snap a connecting rod and shove it through the block.

The valves are just one of many parts that need upgrades to increase the RPM's safely. What happens to your piston to valve clearance when you increase the RPM's? Don't know huh? Well, they get closer because the rods stretch.
well.. when running the car over ecu limit, it cuts off the fuel. am i correct? so when running the motor over ecu fuel limit, which is 9k, your basically running the very very lean.

when the oil pan taken out.. there was a dust of metals from piston rings, piston and cylinder walls.. basically motor was gone. i had to replace the whole motor. yes, i learned a hard way. i just think of it as school tuition.