S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rev Hang Issue?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rev Hang Issue?

Just the other day, I started noticing that at cruising speed, when I let off the gas, the revs like to stay where they are, and don't drop AT ALL, or very little if they do. It doesn't matter if I'm at 7k, or at 3k, when I let off and push in the clutch, or throw it in neutral, the revs stay where they are 90% of the time. I've noticed that they drop like normal after a second of applying the brakes, or if I give the gas a good blip, they fall normally after that.

It's an '07 with the DBW throttle. There was no related work done to the car before this started happening. The only thing I did before I started noticing this was put new rims and tires on, and raise the back coilovers a little.

What could be causing this? I'm almost afraid to drive it anymore.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem is most likely caused by the new rims/tires that you have. It is related to the VSA (vehicle stability assist) and its perceived differences in wheel speed after deviating from stock sizes. Here is another link related to your issue. I'm no expert on this, I just remember seeing threads on it in the past.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/745...r-wrong-tires/
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by xviper
This is normal if you do what's highlighted in red. Many modern day cars will do this if you throw it in neutral (be it an automatic or standard) or just push in the clutch at speed and let go of the throttle. The ECU sees roadspeed but when you suddenly let go of the throttle and disconnect the engine from the rest of the drivetrain (no load) while sensing zero throttle position, it gets confused and can't figure out what the hell you're trying to do, so it hangs the rpm up for a short time. Even with a non-DBW S2000, it will do this but to a lesser extent. The ECU is wondering why you're doing such a stupid thing and tries to out think you. If you don't want it to hang the revs, then don't disconnect the engine from the drive wheels at speed just to see what it'll do. It's not a normal way to drive and it only serves to confuse the car's brains.
I hate to call you a liar, but in my S2K, I've always had direct control of the revs with the throttle. Let off, clutch in, preparing for a stop, the revs always dropped as expected. Like I said, this just started after the wheels were installed, which I DID get the wrong tire size for the rear. I'm trying to work that out right now with the tire shop. Looks like I'll be driving with VSA turned off until I get it straightened out. Thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

............ Deleting all posts. OP has the answer he wants to hear. Unsubscribing.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
............ Deleting all posts. OP has the answer he wants to hear. Unsubscribing.
Holy shit, xviper still posts. Xviper, you are THE S2000 guy.

Originally Posted by Weasel497
Originally Posted by xviper' timestamp='1339433949' post='21772413
This is normal if you do what's highlighted in red. Many modern day cars will do this if you throw it in neutral (be it an automatic or standard) or just push in the clutch at speed and let go of the throttle. The ECU sees roadspeed but when you suddenly let go of the throttle and disconnect the engine from the rest of the drivetrain (no load) while sensing zero throttle position, it gets confused and can't figure out what the hell you're trying to do, so it hangs the rpm up for a short time. Even with a non-DBW S2000, it will do this but to a lesser extent. The ECU is wondering why you're doing such a stupid thing and tries to out think you. If you don't want it to hang the revs, then don't disconnect the engine from the drive wheels at speed just to see what it'll do. It's not a normal way to drive and it only serves to confuse the car's brains.
I hate to call you a liar, but in my S2K, I've always had direct control of the revs with the throttle. Let off, clutch in, preparing for a stop, the revs always dropped as expected. Like I said, this just started after the wheels were installed, which I DID get the wrong tire size for the rear. I'm trying to work that out right now with the tire shop. Looks like I'll be driving with VSA turned off until I get it straightened out. Thanks for the link!
Good job insulting the guy who pretty much pioneered S2000 repair, DIY, etc.

And he is right... holding it in neutral while rolling around is retarded in any car. And the ECU *will* screw up.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM

No insult intended. All I'm saying is that I know my car, and I know it's behavior in certain situations, and it never did what he said. Even when not in neutral, when I would let off the gas, it would maintain speed indefinitely. I know what my car used to do, and I know what my car is doing now, and I can tell you it's not normal.