S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Resonator removal on Amuse Ti, how loud will it be

Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Resonator removal on Amuse Ti, how loud will it be

I have managed to blow out the resonator on my Amuse titanium dual twice. The first time was a backfire and the second time was just too much exhaust at 9000+ rpm with boost.
That said, I want to keep the system and am thinking of cutting out the resonator that keeps blowing out and replacing it with a straight pipe. There have been several posts on doing this with the factory system.
I like it the way it sounds now and don't want to change the volume but it is a weak link in the system and has to be dealt with. Doing this will be expensive compared to steel.
I am wondering how much the volume might be cranked up since the Amuse only has 2 little mufflers. Anyone want to venture a guess?

This photo was taken prior to the blow out. The blow out was along the seam at the bottom of the cannister. The material is very thin and flexes. If the brace wasn't there it would bend picking it up.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:34 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It will be very loud. I took the resonator out of my Spugen/Magnaflow and it got a lot louder.

You're the only person that I have ever heard of that has blown up an exhaust. I'm not quite sure if that is a good or bad thing. After riding in your car, I'll say it's good.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if that would be covered under warrantty? Can you fill us in on the contents of the resonator (glass wool, steel wool Etc?)? Sounds like the resonator is not a straight through design but I remember looking down mine with a flashlight and seing a straight tube with some perforated holes. ? You could probably replace the resonator with a Ti motorcycle cannister or a Universal Ti muffler section. Anyone who welds Ti can do this easily but it can be hard to find someone who works with Ti.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure, personally id leave it alone. the amuse is built the way it is for a reason. it needs the resonators for backpressure. im going to be boosting soon enough, and i hope my exhaust can handle it. how much boost are you running?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

No warantee.

The tubing goes in one side and out the other, it is a straight through design. The main tube is split inside the canister but not by much. It has lots of little holes in and a small amount of woven material surrounding the main tube. When I take it off I will disect it and post photos. The amount of material looked to be very limited and I'm not sure what it was made of.

I live about 2 miles from Jack Burn's Shop. He is an S2000 owner that makes stainless steel and titanium exhaust systems. Many of the headers on NHRA vehicles run Burn's products. http://www.burnsstainless.com/

I can't leave it leaking (CO and fire danger) and I have hit the point of diminishing returns on repairing it. Other titanium canisters may not fit since it has to clear the cross member and has limited space. The limited space is probably the reason for the shape in the first place.

I'm hoping it will be a whole lot quieter than the Veilside since it is dual.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sideways,

Have u done anything about ur resonator yet? Sorry to hear about that, but I think I'm having the same problem too, my resonator on my R1 single rattles and makes a lot of noise lately . I'm thinking about removing the resonator too, and was wondering about the same thing on ur title. Btw, what did u do after ur resonator was blown for the first time?

Jason
Old 09-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

After the first blow out I had Burns weld it up. After the second blow out I hung it up in the storage locker. Just an expensive wall hanging for now. I may not get to it until next year with everything going on currently. Metric titanium tubing appears to be scarce and generally available only from Japan

I don't set off car alarms anymore.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 PM

Good luck to us both w/ our ti exhausts !
Old 09-16-2004, 09:23 PM

If your turbo then losing the resonator and backpressure should be a problem at all.... it might even help.