S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing test pipe with original cat- help with drone?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing test pipe with original cat- help with drone?

Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right forum here. I wanted to ask what you guys thought.

Here's the situation: I bought a 2005 s2k used last year only knowing that it had a "performance exhaust" on it. Once driving it for the first time I found it quite loud, but then kinda liked it. I stored it over the winter and now I find it quite loud again : ) There is a loud drone from 3-4k, which is fine most of the time but when you're going a 100km/h steady, its quite annoying The exhaust is a dual magna flow, and I only know that because of the mufflers. I don't know anything about exhaust systems but the car came with the original cat in the trunk. So here is the question, would putting the stock cat on help with the drone? Would it kill any gains(don't know if there were any to begin with)? Im more concerned about my ears than performance.

Thanks for all answers in advance!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 AM

typically a test pipe will reduce drone over the stock cat. Not sure about that specific exhaust though.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The magnaflow exhaust is a 63mm (2.5") exhaust, and is known to drone a little bit. So it's not really surprising your asking about the drone with it because it's common with that exhaust system. A test pipe actually helps with drone since the exhaust gasses go strait through and out the back of the car, with a cat it actually might quiet the exhaust down a little, but the drone will probably be worse. So if it's the drone that you don't like keep the test pipe since that's about as good as it gets.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM

test pipe will calm the drone down. not completely tho. i remember when i got my TP for my invidia dual it got quiet as stock while idle. then that drone became loudness when WOT. but i still get some in the 3-5k rpm area.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Find a different exhaust. Eventually the drone will drive you crazy! You can find stock exhausts for cheap in the Classified section, if you want to eliminate the drone completely.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Hmmm. Looks like it will stay as is for the time being then. Thanks for the replies. Not really looking into putting money into another exhaust right now. Maybe I'll buy a stock one eventually if it still bothers me. The one good thing is I just installed a new headunit, so the the exhaust doesn't sound quite as loud anymore. Although it's obviously worse for my hearing!

I did buy some decibel reducing ear plugs, I should just use them.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The magnaflow full cat back made by does not drone IMHO. Now other designs and makes that use magnaflow mufflers do drone. The reason is the dead end pipe section in the OEM that tuned out the drone, and the magna flow used a similar pipe section, but it was round. So you might want to look under the car and see what you really have under there.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

That's what that pipe is lol
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
The magnaflow full cat back made by does not drone IMHO. Now other designs and makes that use magnaflow mufflers do drone. The reason is the dead end pipe section in the OEM that tuned out the drone, and the magna flow used a similar pipe section, but it was round. So you might want to look under the car and see what you really have under there.
Good call, I'm going to get under the car soon, as I'm planning to do my diff and tranny fluid. I'll see if I can find out for sure what's exactly installed. Maybe I'll take some pics too just in case I'm not actually sure what I'm looking at lol!

I should add that there only really drone while in 6th gear, the rest of the time it just sounds sweet. The problem is a good portion of my commute is spent in 6th trolling along at 95-105kms/h! Hence the issue. Guess, I could stick to the limit, or just go really fast...