S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing studs, new bearing?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I totally believe in preventative maintenance, and it is a very good idea to replace the bearing. Some of the cars I work on are low mileage cars that are leisure and are not driven hard. At this point the bearings have 90 percent of their life remaining. And when a guy comes in for extended studs, 300 bucks worth of bearings and labor he does not need is a huge savings I can pass on to him.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
When working with a bearing, you have:

-Knuckle: part that holds the bearing itself, and the suspension attaching points. "spindle" if you will is also used
-BEARING: composed of outer one-piece race shell, two rows of ball bearings with nylon spacing cages, and two inner races
-HUB: this is the part that has the 5 studs pressed into it. It's what the rotor sits directly against

So..

When the HUB is pressed out of the BEARING, one of the inner races is pulled from the BEARING and remains on the HUB.

SOME will say the act of pressing puts too much strain on the bearing, and this is what destroys it. This is not so. The forces are much greater when cornering the car, hence why the axle nut re-torque is needed. The cornering of the car is pulling the race off the hub.

They SAY it destroyes the bearing, but if someone is careful and competent with a press, and understands the forces put on the bearing during RE-INSTALL, one could support the assembly in a way to not put any undue stress on the bearing. With this, you dont need a new bearing.

I do this all the time, and dont replace the bearing. I have custom made supports, and micro thin plastic shoehorns that walk the ball bearings outward, so when the hub/race is pressed back in, it doesn't "spot" the bearings. The act of pressing together (not seperating) is what spots the balls and race and causes a rumble, destroying the bearing. NOT pressing it apart. Find an old school tech and explain this to him. If he "gets it", you won't need a bearing.
Thank you ! Possibly the best answer I have ever seen on any forum about any question. I will try this out. I appreciate your help. Wish you were local!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I totally believe in preventative maintenance, and it is a very good idea to replace the bearing. Some of the cars I work on are low mileage cars that are leisure and are not driven hard. At this point the bearings have 90 percent of their life remaining. And when a guy comes in for extended studs, 300 bucks worth of bearings and labor he does not need is a huge savings I can pass on to him.
Bearings are $300 for all 4 corners?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-WHEEL-B...d6132d&vxp=mtr
ebay $18.00 each... are these not them?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For some reason I doubt those bearings are of the same quality, and I see the price listed at $18.50, not $18.00.
Supposedly Honda uses NSK bearings. I see them online for about $62-67 each (+S/H).
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ry5=REAR+BRAKE
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-S84-A02.html

You could get other brands for more or less money.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...52FWheel%2BHub