S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing springs, got myself into a jam

Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,396 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Shame the spring is broken. You may be able to take the tension off the spring by installing the shock in the car.

Put the car up on jack stands, jack up the wheel in question, and remove the bolt for the shock piston to the top hat, then slowly lower the jack from the wheel. Leave the top hat bolted to the chassis.
Ive done this on other carz....but it requires uninstalling the LCA. And they are trying to put the springs back ON.

Idk...I've just compressed them by hand in the past. S2000 springs don't require a spring compressor for removal or install, from what I've seen. I don't weigh anywhere near 190LB.

You sure you have the right springs on the right shocks?
Old 06-21-2016, 04:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
My thought days ago.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1466509921' post='23998371
My thought days ago.
This is what I asked a couple days ago. We verified that the struts are the correct p/n for my model year last night, but I specifically DID purchase springs from another year. Are different model year springs or struts different lengths? The springs I removed are aftermarket and ARE about 3/4" shorter...they're Eibach 164352 4043.001VA. But I ASSumed that the previous owner had wanted the car lower, hence the shorter springs.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I am pretty sure all shocks are the same length, so you can use any oem spring and shock combo.

Your rates may be slightly off, but fitment should be the same. With everything in place, before pushing down, how far do you have to go to expose 3 or so threads of the shock rod?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I am pretty sure all shocks are the same length, so you can use any oem spring and shock combo.

Your rates may be slightly off, but fitment should be the same. With everything in place, before pushing down, how far do you have to go to expose 3 or so threads of the shock rod?
I'm making a guess here, since I've never actually achieved it during any of this process, but I'd say at least an inch, maybe more. While pushing on the top hat, the rubber part that inserts into it (is this the bump stop?) cannot be in place, since the threaded shaft of the strut isn't centered at this stage. If I could get the threaded shaft to protrude enough through the top hat, I could place the bump stop on the shaft and then use that to center everything, allowing me to insert the bump stop into the top hat and then throw a nut on.

While I'm thinking about it, I see references here to cutting the bump stops and I have no idea whether that's been done or not to mine. Is there a pic somewhere of an uncut stop which I could compare to?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Member (Premium)

S2000 ride heights are all the same for all years (pretty much). But different years have different rates.

A softer spring will need to be taller to keep the same ride height.

I have a ground mounted hydraulic compressor. I do not use the autozone rental compressors because they're dangerous...and yes, they do not offer any room between the shock.

Do you have any bigger friends? Get two people on top of this thing.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Or....put the spring/shock against the concrete garage baseboard.

Park a car behind you.

Put your back against the car's wheel.

Leg press the spring and shock.

Have someone thread on the nut.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
S2000 ride heights are all the same for all years (pretty much). But different years have different rates.

A softer spring will need to be taller to keep the same ride height.
I get that, which is why I'm not surprised that these springs are longer than what I removed. It appears from what I've been told that all S2K's have the same front struts, so logically then, some S2K model years would have spring/strut combinations which are harder to compress than others, no? This would explain why some people say, "Yeah, it's easy to push down," and some say, "Get five of your friends and a sixpack of beer, plus a gorilla" to do this job.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 486 Likes on 397 Posts

I managed to put together the CR suspension without a spring compressor, those are the stiffest Oem springs. I suppose you could just take it to a shop, most likely they have a hydraulic strut compressor.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:33 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I managed to put together the CR suspension without a spring compressor, those are the stiffest Oem springs. I suppose you could just take it to a shop, most likely they have a hydraulic strut compressor.
Stiffest...but shortest.

Quick Reply: Replacing springs, got myself into a jam