S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing rear wheel bearing

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing rear wheel bearing

So im replacing the rear wheel bearing and hub. I heard some people talking about replacing the knuckle too, how do I know if thats bad?
I found the hub and bearing on majestic Honda for 198 shipped. And I found it on ebay for 85.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190780048030
Do I just need a new bearing and Hub or do I also need the nut included in the Ebay kit?
Should I get the oem one or the ebay one
Also when I have the parts in my cart it says "HUB ASSY., RR."
Does the RR mean right rear, are they different? There is no LR
And then the bearing says "BEARING ASSY., FR. HUB (NSK)"
Does the FR mean front? I choose the rear diagram and then choose from the rear diagram so it should give me the rear part.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I actually went through a similar situation as yours (rear wheel stud replacement = replace bearing) on my old s2k. I re-used the old knuckle, as it was still good. You can determine this if yours is free of damages (cracks, scoring, pitting, etc).

First, you need to determine why your bearing is going out. Is it because of 'normal' wear and tear, or did you have a collision? If the former, check for the above. If the latter, check for the above, plus see if your knuckle is bent by doing a comparison to a new/un-damaged one. If it is, replace it, then check for other possible damaged suspension components.

As for the nut, any time it is removed/un-staked, replacement is recommended. When it comes to these parts (the type that your life 'depends' on), I like to keep it OEM. You just can't go wrong with it. I have no experience with aftermarket...

I have no idea if the hub assemblies are the same from left to right. Someone who knows might chime in.

Wheel bearings are the same on all four corners.

FR = Front Right, RR = Rear Right

After you are done, make sure to torque the axle nut down to the 'new' specs, get an alignment, then grab a beer (or water).

Hope this helps. peace.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The hubs and bearings on each corner are the same therefore the slightly confusing terminology. Most of the time both hub, bearing, and nut need to be replaced but the knuckle is ok unless it was a very bad failure.

Although the ebay parts sourced from the Chinese supplier may be fine I was leery enough to buy OEM online.

Look at Rob's website for a good guide... http://robrobinette.com/S2000Bearing.htm
Old 09-14-2013, 10:23 AM

f@#k. So I pulled the hub and knuckle and I realized why it was so hard to take the axle nut off. This is the thread.
Do I have to buy a whole new axle or is this replaceable?
Replacing rear wheel bearing-okhw3av.jpg
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can't clean-up those thread well enough the fix is a new outboard CV joint. A relatively expensive part but a pretty easy replacement.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena
If you can't clean-up those thread well enough the fix is a new outboard CV joint. A relatively expensive part but a pretty easy replacement.
I wanna do it myself but can't find a guide and I don't know where to start
Would I have to pull the axle off?