S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing oil pan.. does it need new gasket?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing oil pan.. does it need new gasket?

i baught my S2k, but previous owner busted a quick one on me and sold me it with a stripped oil drain bolt, so its leaking pool of oil evyerwhere i go..

so i purchased a used Oil pan , he told me when he took it off, he only saw sealent.. no gasket..

wondering if i could re-use my gasket (ive been doing that all my life with my previous hondas.. no problem)

what do u guys prefer / suggest with s2000 since they are newer motors compared to 20+ year old integra motors from japan =D

Honda bond too?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Honda bond only. No gasket.

You could also fix the hole with an oversized drain plug, made for the purpose.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 AM

isn't the honda oil pan gasket actually just grey RTV?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Honda bond is an RTV.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,May 10 2007, 03:06 AM
Honda bond only. No gasket.

You could also fix the hole with an oversized drain plug, made for the purpose.
when i installed my cylinder head,

i didn't use honda bond, i used something else i bought at kragen...

is this acceptable?

why only honda bond for the oil pan, and/or the head cylinder?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,May 10 2007, 10:44 AM
when i installed my cylinder head,

i didn't use honda bond, i used something else i bought at kragen...

is this acceptable?

why only honda bond for the oil pan, and/or the head cylinder?
what do you mean by installing cylinder head?

headgasket perhaps?

grey RTV will work the same if you know how to apply it, even thin layer>patch of rtv
Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

When you install the cylinder head, the Helms manual has you use Honda bond around the timing chain. That is what he is refering too. I just pulled a motor apart that I know a dealer tech installed. He did not use Honda bond in that area. I always have. Anyone else have a comment on this area?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 11 2007, 01:47 PM
When you install the cylinder head, the Helms manual has you use Honda bond around the timing chain. That is what he is refering too. I just pulled a motor apart that I know a dealer tech installed. He did not use Honda bond in that area. I always have. Anyone else have a comment on this area?
i don't recall the manual asking for "HONDA" bond
Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM

I had to install a new oil pan on my car and hardtopguy told me I was fine picking up Permatex GREY which is made for high temp alumimium applications. I did a search on the boards on this subject and they all said the same thing, use HONDA BOND RTV or Permatex Grey.

I had never done an oil pan before that used an RTV gasket maker, so I did put a lot of RTV. I let it sit for over 24 hours before filling the motor with oil and running it. I was a bit paranoid at first that perhaps I used to much RTV (I used what I typically would use on jet ski's and other applications I'd used RTV on), however I asked a few mechanics since then and they all told me not to worry, any excess RTV that chipped off inside the pan would just get caught by the oil pickup filter and probably get filtered out in oil changes. I plan to pull my filter apart at the next oil change just to satisfy my curiousity. Would you agree Billman / Stratocoster?

The important thing I remember about the oil pan install is that the bolts only get torqued to I believe 8.7 ft/lb's, so make sure you have a good torque wrench that is accurate that low. Also make sure you used the proper diagram/order for tightening the bolts, there is a lot of them.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmply,May 11 2007, 03:26 PM
I had to install a new oil pan on my car and hardtopguy told me I was fine picking up Permatex GREY which is made for high temp alumimium applications. I did a search on the boards on this subject and they all said the same thing, use HONDA BOND RTV or Permatex Grey.

I had never done an oil pan before that used an RTV gasket maker, so I did put a lot of RTV. I let it sit for over 24 hours before filling the motor with oil and running it. I was a bit paranoid at first that perhaps I used to much RTV (I used what I typically would use on jet ski's and other applications I'd used RTV on), however I asked a few mechanics since then and they all told me not to worry, any excess RTV that chipped off inside the pan would just get caught by the oil pickup filter and probably get filtered out in oil changes. I plan to pull my filter apart at the next oil change just to satisfy my curiousity. Would you agree Billman / Stratocoster?

The important thing I remember about the oil pan install is that the bolts only get torqued to I believe 8.7 ft/lb's, so make sure you have a good torque wrench that is accurate that low. Also make sure you used the proper diagram/order for tightening the bolts, there is a lot of them.
ic, good info.. hmm i don thave a torque wrench.. can i just hand tight it and guess? also what is the diagram of pattern? cant i just put em all on ligthly, then do it criss-cross?

if u can post diagram or etc plz help out.

and using honda bond rtv u just apply on it the surface and thats it right? do i touch it with my hands to smooth it out?

Quick Reply: Replacing oil pan.. does it need new gasket?