S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

replacing knock sensor.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There was another thread about whether using a knock sensor from another Honda engine "works" on an S2000 even if it fits.

The knock sensor is tuned to react to the specific frequency created by a knock and then it sends a signal to the ECU--- unanswered question is whether the frequency created by a knock in a Honda Odyssey V6 the same frequency as in our S2000s 4 cylinder--if it isn't, thesensor won't react to it and it wont send a signal when a knock occurs.

While other manufacturers may make folks pay extra for parts for their speciality vehicles, my take is that Honda wouldn't have made (and have dealers stock) a separate knock sensor just for a S2000 vs their other cars unless there was something different about it.

So, even though it physically fits and uses the same connector, until someone can show the Odyssey sensor reads and reacts to the same frequency, if I need one, I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra for the S2000 version--- the knock sensor is a critical piece in ensuring longivity in our engines.
The following users liked this post:
Mike in Detroit (09-23-2020)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there away to test this? If someone can send me a broken S2000 sensor, maybe I can test it on an oscilloscope and compare the voltage generated by it to one for an Odyssey.

Originally Posted by jetboater
There was another thread about whether using a knock sensor from another Honda engine "works" on an S2000 even if it fits.

The knock sensor is tuned to react to the specific frequency created by a knock and then it sends a signal to the ECU--- unanswered question is whether the frequency created by a knock in a Honda Odyssey V6 the same frequency as in our S2000s 4 cylinder--if it isn't, thesensor won't react to it and it wont send a signal when a knock occurs.

While other manufacturers may make folks pay extra for parts for their speciality vehicles, my take is that Honda wouldn't have made (and have dealers stock) a separate knock sensor just for a S2000 vs their other cars unless there was something different about it.

So, even though it physically fits and uses the same connector, until someone can show the Odyssey sensor reads and reacts to the same frequency, if I need one, I'll bite the bullet and pay the extra for the S2000 version--- the knock sensor is a critical piece in ensuring longivity in our engines.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 AM

Yes.

All i am stating is what DID work for me. Its up to you if you want to use it. Clearly, i am using this until i get my s2000 one in the mail. From there... i am going to test them.

And i will update if anything happens.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That would be great if you could test it!! On the earlier thread, no one actually did.
I don't know how nor have the equipment to do it.
I like the idea of using the cheaper part if it works the same--- I was just trying to say that physical appearance and the same electrical connection doesn't necessarily mean if functions the same and if it doesn't detect a knock when it should, significant engine damage can occur over time.
Looking forward to a definitive answer!
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Thank you Nibble and Ry4nolson. Your post and pics saved me a lot of frustration. I cannot thank you enough!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chino101
Is there away to test this? If someone can send me a broken S2000 sensor, maybe I can test it on an oscilloscope and compare the voltage generated by it to one for an Odyssey.

Originally Posted by jetboater' timestamp='1339641263' post='21780146

Just wondering if you were ever able to test the knock sensor?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM

I got this code after installing a wide band. Replaced the sensor. Still get the CEL. Any ideas why?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ballade sports has a replacement for far less than Honda. I believe they were able to source the OEM and get it on their own, since Honda themselves don't manufacture the part.

http://www.balladesports.com/product...-30530-pcx-003
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM

I just replaced my knock sensor.
I positioned the socket and extension from below and then attached my 1/2 driver from above to remove it.
Then installed the new one from below using the deep socket and 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and tightened it from below.

Thanks for the writeup.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 115 Likes on 105 Posts

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet...what's the torque spec??

Quick Reply: replacing knock sensor.