S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacing clutch

Old 02-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xpressive
Mine was the same way.. Separating and mating the transmission was never an issue. I too thought I had done it wrong and pulled it apart to examine everything just to put it back the way it was. This was car on jack stands in the garage and the transmission balancing on a floor jack.
Nice!

I don't like doing serious work with jack stands so I bought these things: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZAEUE4

robert
Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by robertcope
Nice!

I don't like doing serious work with jack stands so I bought these things: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZAEUE4

robert

Will a stock low-boy jack, jack the car up high enough to slide those under the wheels?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Will a stock low-boy jack, jack the car up high enough to slide those under the wheels?
I doubt it. I have an long reach, low profile jack that I use: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html

robert
Old 02-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When you get to the point of reinstalling, be sure to plug electrical connectors back correctly. There are two pairs of connectors that can be connected reversed. Connecting mismatched not only won't work, but can damage other components.

Someone already mentioned special tools. Much easier if you have them or fabricate the equivalent. Especially the ring gear clamp to clamp flywheel to bell housing while you torque the bolts, and the alignment tool to hold the clutch disk in alignment until the pressure plate is installed. Anyway plan ahead.

Use a transmission jack or something similarly stable to lower and raise the transmission. Don't try to balance the transmission on a standard floor jack and don't even contemplate lifting by hand.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg Lee
When you get to the point of reinstalling, be sure to plug electrical connectors back correctly. There are two pairs of connectors that can be connected reversed. Connecting mismatched not only won't work, but can damage other components.

Someone already mentioned special tools. Much easier if you have them or fabricate the equivalent. Especially the ring gear clamp to clamp flywheel to bell housing while you torque the bolts, and the alignment tool to hold the clutch disk in alignment until the pressure plate is installed. Anyway plan ahead.

Use a transmission jack or something similarly stable to lower and raise the transmission. Don't try to balance the transmission on a standard floor jack and don't even contemplate lifting by hand.
Huh, I thought all the connectors down there were different. I guess I got lucky.

I totally agree with the ring gear clamp. I was able to do it with a big prybar but it sucked. I had the alignment tool because I have no idea how you'd do that without it.

I used a jack to lower and lift the transmission. I will admit that in the end, I just lifted it by hand as it fell off the jack. Felt that for a week.

robert
Old 02-20-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 475 Likes on 388 Posts

If you don't have a ring gear holder, you can wedge a transmission bolt between the ring gear and bell housing.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree that a standard floor jack isn't adequate to use as a tranny jack but with a little improvisation you can make it work. A 3/4" x 3" steel pipe welded to the middle of a heavy steel plate approximately 12' x 12" makes a stable surface with an existing floor jack. You just pull the top plate off a standard two-ton jack and stick this plate on top.

I used this and was able to remove and replace my tranny without any problems by myself. However if you jack your car up high enough (approximately 24' is recommended) you will need to put the jack on an elevated platform to reach the tranny. I used a wood pallet and it worked fine. I also stuck a few 2" x 4" blocks on the steel plate to stabilize the tranny and prevent from scratching it up.