S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replacement Diff and Innovative 75a mounts - impressions and questions..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Diff and Innovative 75a mounts - impressions and questions..

hi guys,

Some thoughts on my replacement diff and Innovative 75a mounts. As some of you might know my diff blew and i had to get the car to Billman. I had to buy a used diff, 99K miles, and i bought and installed the Innovative 75A mounts.

Billman got my old diff out, new used one in and the mounts. he looked into the dill hole on the used diff and everything looked good. 1 mile from Billmans i noticed on acceleration there is a whine/humming. The diff performs fine and has fresh Mobil 1 in the rear.

Are the stiffer mounts the cause of the whine/humming? I do notice the rear end is a bit noisier in general and i assume its because of the stiffer mounts. Billman felt it was a vibration from the stiffer mounts and that may very well be the case. I did some searching here and did find a member who reported a diff whine with these mounts but he had no trunk lining and it was a track car.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought. The whine/hum makes me nervous. I cant afford another diff job, this one wiped me out and if this replacement diff goes the car is gonna have to go...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this helps any but when I installed stiffer trans mounts I could noticeably hear a louder whine coming from what I assume was the trans due to the stiffer mounts. Now that I'm back on stock mounts, I can't hear that whine. If Billman rode in it and said the whine was due to the stiffer mounts, then I would believe him, lol.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Not sure if this helps any but when I installed stiffer trans mounts I could noticeably hear a louder whine coming from what I assume was the trans due to the stiffer mounts. Now that I'm back on stock mounts, I can't hear that whine. If Billman rode in it and said the whine was due to the stiffer mounts, then I would believe him, lol.

Thanks man... he didnt ride in the car i called him and told him. He suggested it was the mounts and im going to assume so too. Just nervous is all...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Hasport diff mounts, but it did get noticeably louder after installation. However, after about a month, they break in a bit and it quiets down.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Hardtop?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Hardtop?
Nope..softop only.

So im super paranoid and decide to drop the mobil 1, which is about 3 weeks old. The drain bolt had no silver gunk, but did have some black gunk. I replaced the fluid with AMSOIL severe gear 75w90. Took the car for a drive and its about the same. I did pick up a friend whose added weight seemed to calm it down a bit.

The best way to describe the noise is think about when your driving on the highway and your coming up on a tractor trailer. You hear the whine/whooshing you hear from the truck as you drive by on the highway... that's what it sounds like as I accelerate...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's normal, stiffer mounts equal more noise, more vibrations etc... Stock liquid filled mounts do a good job of getting rid of those noises....
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 AM

Thanks a lot guys for the input. The diff going out on me was a nightmare especially since Billman is 90 miles away and it ended up costing me big $$$. The noise most likely is normal im just a bit paranoid. I feel better knowing the AMSOIL 75w90 is in the rear end now. The noise and whine/hum don't bother me as long as I know its just normal and im thinking it is now. Thanks again peeps!!