S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise

Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weekendwarrior44
Originally Posted by civdaddy
Post a video up
ok I'll get one up sometime tomorrow
Sorry, never posted a vid because you can't hear it at all in the video. I'm about ready to catch it on fire, now ever since I changed the tct it's been leaking a lot of oil, so I re did the job and still leaks. Then I tried tightening the bolts to the head a little more and the head of the bolt ******* snapped off.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is it leaking from?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by weekendwarrior44
Originally Posted by weekendwarrior44' timestamp='1415688725' post='23400688
Originally Posted by civdaddy
Post a video up
ok I'll get one up sometime tomorrow
Sorry, never posted a vid because you can't hear it at all in the video. I'm about ready to catch it on fire, now ever since I changed the tct it's been leaking a lot of oil, so I re did the job and still leaks. Then I tried tightening the bolts to the head a little more and the head of the bolt ******* snapped off.
been trying to figure out for sure for the past like 2 hours if it's from the vtak solenoid or the tct, although I'm pretty sure it's coming from the tct on the left bolt that holds the tct onto the head. i took off the vtak solenoid and was also able to get the tct off so i'm trying to get the bolt extracted since there's a tiny bit of it sticking out from the head but i can't get a good enough grip to twist it out. I'm currently stuck trying to figure out how to get that bolt out
Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Cut a small line in the middle of the bolt with a tiny cutoff wheel or file. Then use a flat screwdriver to take it out. Since it snapped, it will not be tight at all.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,073 Posts

You could also use a hacksaw blade to cut the slot. Use a handle, or make one out of duct tape. Take short, precise strokes. Start by only going in the non-cutting direction to get the grove started.

You also might have success using a small cold chisel, and getting a bite on the edge of whats sticking out, and bit by bit taping it lightly to make it turn. Once you get a few turns you'll have enough meat to grip it with locking pliers to go the rest of way.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Banned

I'll be working on it some more and trying those methods out, just gotta be careful not to jack up the head lol
Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

Man WTF, I got someone to get the bolt out for me and and got everything back together on the engine and it's still leaking oil from what seems to be the bottom side of the timing chain tensioner. Cleaned everything off really well so it was nice and dry and when I got home there was oil on the bottom of the tct again WTFFF the VTEC solenoid was dry and everything too, this is p*****g me off because I keep cleaning it and then everything gets nasty and messy again with oil and a puddle ends up on my garage floor every morning
Old 11-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Replace the VTEC solenoid gasket, it often looks like the tct is leaking when it's actually the vtec solenoid. Also when you tighten them, you don't necessarily need to use a torque wrench but do make sure you tighten those bolts evenly. A lot of time they leak because one side is tighter than the other, seeing as only two bolts hold in both pieces. Just tighten in steps to get it mounted evenly. It stopped the leak for me.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Replace the VTEC solenoid gasket, it often looks like the tct is leaking when it's actually the vtec solenoid. Also when you tighten them, you don't necessarily need to use a torque wrench but do make sure you tighten those bolts evenly. A lot of time they leak because one side is tighter than the other, seeing as only two bolts hold in both pieces. Just tighten in steps to get it mounted evenly. It stopped the leak for me.
Yeah I cross tightened them while being careful to do it evenly, after my friend suggested it I'm starting to think it could be the head gasket. I took the vtec solenoid completely off and everything seemed okay.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Replace the gasket anyway, if it's the original one, chances are it's the culprit right there, even if the gasket is intact, it could have flattened out. Don't rush into spending time/money to rip off the head when it can possibly be something easier, or less costly. The gasket is $17-24 and is easy to replace, taking off the head is a straight up pain in the ass. Probably easier to remove the engine itself, just for the simple fact you have to remove the intake manifold. Hell, I'd rather remove the timing chain than remove the head with the engine in the car to be honest.

Quick Reply: Replaced tct timing chain tensioner and hear a supercharger whine noise