S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

replaced spark plugs *pics*

Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Aug 15 2008, 06:50 PM
Iridiums have been known to fail and breakoff into the cylinder.
amen to that, i had iridiums in my prelude and one broke after 5,000 miles, did a search and found it was a farely common thing with iridiums.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Even XViper said to stay away from the iridiums after the threads about the electrodes breaking off. I think he said its safe if you're NA, but for FI, you definately don't want the Denso Iridiums.

I'll quote him.
XViper quote
"
Technically, at least in a NA engine, Iridium plugs should be the last plug that engine should ever need. Platinum plugs are supposed to last 100,000 miles or longer. Iridium plugs should last much longer. I've got Denso Iridiums in our PT Cruiser (NA) and the car has been trouble free for nearly 2 years. I'm hoping I'll never have to do plugs again on that car. I just don't think Iridiums are such a good idea for F.I.
"
Old 08-16-2008, 11:25 PM

I've read the discussions on the tip breaking issue with the Denso plugs but still took a chance with the Denso IK22G iridiums. The original plugs on my AP2 are the Denso platinums and at 53K miles, they looked just like in the pictures from the OP's NGK platinums - still looked good.

The Denso IK22G have the 0.4mm electrodes and they came in gapped at 0.032" so I regapped them to 0.043". Following what I've read from IK22G users, I was very careful when regapping the plugs to make sure I don't damage the very narrow electrodes.

The plugs work great, just like the original Denso platinums. I will check on them on my next oil change.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:06 PM
M2K

Thumbs down

I have a problem with my car. It is an 04 s2k i just bought which currently have 53k miles. Sometime in the morning or my first time turning on the car after the night i park it.

Well here is the problem when i first start my car the rpm would fall to like 100 to 200 rpm and the car would shutter like it is about to shut down then it would shutter back to like 1700 rpm and stay there for a few moments until it would gradually go down to 900rpm when the engine gets warm.

The car rpm does not fluctuates back and forth through rpm range at start up at all or after the engine warm up.

The car rpm stay good the whole day at 900rpm without fluctuating.

When i get done driving and come back out to go somewhere. When i start my car up it start up fine without the rpm shuttering down to 100-200 rpm like in the morning when it was gonna shut down.

How come it only do that only when i first start up my car for the first time for the day?

any clue anyone?

I am thinking it was the spark plugs but reading this thread the stock ap2 plugs hold up to 100k miles... so i am unsure now. please help
Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by M2K,Aug 17 2008, 08:06 PM
I have a problem with my car. It is an 04 s2k i just bought which currently have 53k miles. Sometime in the morning or my first time turning on the car after the night i park it.

Well here is the problem when i first start my car the rpm would fall to like 100 to 200 rpm and the car would shutter like it is about to shut down then it would shutter back to like 1700 rpm and stay there for a few moments until it would gradually go down to 900rpm when the engine gets warm.

The car rpm does not fluctuates back and forth through rpm range at start up at all or after the engine warm up.

The car rpm stay good the whole day at 900rpm without fluctuating.

When i get done driving and come back out to go somewhere. When i start my car up it start up fine without the rpm shuttering down to 100-200 rpm like in the morning when it was gonna shut down.

How come it only do that only when i first start up my car for the first time for the day?

any clue anyone?

I am thinking it was the spark plugs but reading this thread the stock ap2 plugs hold up to 100k miles... so i am unsure now. please help
I wonder if it has something to do with oil settling overnight (??). Have you checked on your oil lately? What oil do you use?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM

i have the same problem as u do M2k..
i checked my oil and its fine, i use mobile 1 syn. 5W-30
Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM

I have no personal experience with 5W30 on my AP2. I have only used 10W30 (also Mobil 1). I do know many members here use 5W30 without issues.

Interesting problem...
Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,406 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 17 2008, 09:14 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with oil settling overnight (??). Have you checked on your oil lately? What oil do you use?
How is your air filter?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Air pump?

Also, if you're going to use iridiums, why not NGK? I actually called them (yes, they talk to you on the phone!!) told the guy my set up (comptech SC) and he suggested the iridiums (BKR8EIX or BKR9EIX). They come one or two heat ranges colder than stock which was critical for the SC. I ran 8's on the street and 9's on the track. Just had to check the torque every now and then because they don't have the special S2K washers.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by modifry,Aug 19 2008, 07:10 PM
^Air pump?

Also, if you're going to use iridiums, why not NGK? I actually called them (yes, they talk to you on the phone!!) told the guy my set up (comptech SC) and he suggested the iridiums (BKR8EIX or BKR9EIX). They come one or two heat ranges colder than stock which was critical for the SC. I ran 8's on the street and 9's on the track. Just had to check the torque every now and then because they don't have the special S2K washers.
Have you ever tested the Denso iridiums vs the NGKs you are using? I have never used NGK spark plugs and all 5 cars in my household use Denso plugs. I've experienced quality issues with NGK plug wires - slipping off of an ignition coil. It is for these reasons and the unique 0.4mm electrode design that made me lean towards the Denso iridiums. Maybe on my next plug change, I'll try the NGKs that many people here really like.

Quick Reply: replaced spark plugs *pics*