S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced rear end??? ...search SUX!!!

Old 12-20-2002, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by andyp
[B]The mods in question have NOTHING to do with the diff going to sh*t.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave,

If the problem's long been documented, it seems to me that you have grounds to push a bit more until you tease out their real position. A "courtesy" split on the costs seems to me to signal that the negotiation need not be over just yet.

Good luck. Sorry to hear this.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:35 AM

Guys; My intention was not to imply anything beyond the fact that the car has been obviously modified. I was only wondering if a modified car received a different view by a dealer (as opposed to a stock car) when warranty issues arise? I certainly did not intend to indict Dave, or his car!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:21 AM

Hey w1ngman, I have had my diff replaced, with no major problems from the dealer, they had someone from HondaCare come out to "investigate" but they replaced it under my drivetrain warranty...no cost to me...even gave me a rental...I hope you get this resolved...I know how difficult dealers can be...I don't think you should have to pay for this....Good luck!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 06:41 AM

Well, my luck has not proved to be as good...but I can't stand to be without this car (besides lovin' it, its my daily driver...). So, as I've discovered that my dealer has already made the offer they made having had Honda America review the case...and Honda America's rep offering the "I pay half; they pay half" offer...I'm moving on with this offer and getting them to replace the entire diff assy asap.

Looks like I'll:
  • Have the diff assy ordered this Thursday
  • If it arrives Monday, then it might be installed Tuesday...
  • If not Tuesday, then Thursday 2nd...
  • ...be out $1800, but have a new diff with a 12mo/12K warranty (rather than a ("one-time-fix") deal some have dealt with.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this issue. Not sure that I could not have argued this further, but frankly, the holiday's and my need to have this car back are playing somewhat in Honda's favor at the moment.

Looks like I also need to consider purchasing "a beater" so as to never have my back up against such a wall again. Perhaps a trusty CRX once again...

Again, thanks.

- Dave
Old 12-23-2002, 08:05 PM

Just so you know... they replaced my diff under warranty - the problem was NOT resolved

They offered the 50/50 (of $1300) on inner CV joints, the problem was NOT resolved

The dealership replaced the hubs (after trying to make me pay $1300) - the problem was NOT resolved

every time the clicking goes away for about a week, then it's back to square one. If I could get it to go away for say... a month, I'd have enough time to trade the thing in and never buy a honda again.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:08 PM

BTW- they said I had loose metal in the diff as well when they replaced mine....
Old 12-24-2002, 06:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez. . .that's encouraging. Dave, take it to Mechanicsville!

Damn it!
Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
end/diff/CV...whatever.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by S TWO K
Dave I remember your 1st Mid Atlantic run where your virgin car had just 600 miles on it......
Errrm......I don't think you remember correctly. I purchased The Bruised Banana from Carmax with a little over 3K miles on the odo. Musta been someone else? But I *DO* agree that time has flown!

- Dave

PS. Me thinks you are remembering Mike (VA S2K)...he'd traded his silver up to a spa and I believe he'd just clicked over the 600 mile mark for that meet...

Quick Reply: Replaced rear end??? ...search SUX!!!