S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced rear end??? ...search SUX!!!

Old 12-17-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replaced rear end??? ...search SUX!!!

Okay. Its evident that our search engine is ka-put!

I need help nooooooooooooooooow!!! I have "a new noise" that I believe is originating from my rear end. My Honda dealership is suggesting the noise is my tires (mis-wear from a mis-alignment that has since been re-aligned). However, the noise is there as evident as before...if not moreso.

Oh...and if you wonder as you read...this "new noise" is not my only rear end issue -- I've been privileged with the rear popping in initial engagement fwd/rev as long as I've owned the car (which was originally 3K miles). They've tightened, re-tightened, and replaced spindle nuts with no luck. All the rear popping has been documented, so I'm hoping this new noise is an extension of the old one and that I might be able to solicit the dealer into replacing the rear end due to the troubles I've had with it time and again.

I personally believe this noise is somewhere in my rear axle, or rear CV joints, rear diff, or perhaps the driveshaft. Why? Well...just consider it "gut" even though I realize I'm leaving a lot open as to what the sound might be.

All I'm interested in from folks here is reporting your experience with Honda Service in having had the benefit of receiving a replacement rear end/diff/CV...whatever. Furthermore, as I've just about pushed 38K miles, I'd also be curious to know if any of those with replacements offered by Honda were outside of their warranty...but provided "Good Will" replacement.

BTW, I ran the car up on a lift this evening and see no evidence of leakage, damage, CV boots split/degraded, loose assemblies in diff/axle/driveshaft areas... No warping of the brake discs either. Also could not hear the noise while it was on the lift engaged in 1st gear. I'd believe this is due to no load being on the drivetrain. I'm swapping out my rear wheels/tires with a local buddy's S2K tomorrow afternoon...just to be sure to eliminate Honda's contention its the tires/wheels. Who knows...perhaps it *will* be the wheels...I just don't believe so.

I know some folks might ask me to describe this noise. Hmmm...I'm afraid there'd be little benefit in that as it would be difficult to describe in words. Its a "lub...lub...lub...lub...lub" that seems to me to cycle (and pitch up/down as speed increases/decreases) with the rotation of the axles/diff more than the rotation of the tires. How can I say that???...well, the repeating sound occurs more rapidly than a single rotation of outer circumference of the tire itself (if that makes sense?).

Anyway...car goes in the shop Friday. I need your feedback to be able to suggest, "See...here's a case where a dealer treated their customer decently and replaced his rear end". That'd of course be the best ticket. Anything lesser in reply/experience will still be appreciated. Then again...having 20 of you tell me dealers have helped you out would make me estatic!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase Help Me!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 12-17-2002, 05:12 PM

Ohhh...and right off the bat: I don't do clutch drops so please don't consider suggesting I've ruined my differential in such a manner. I *do* drive my car in a way that I believe Honda designed it to be driven...but I don't believe I abuse it. That is certainly a personal opinion, but anyone knowing me would know that I treat my car well (better than my dog, for sure) and I am not a clutch-dropper.

Danka again!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by w1ngman
I *do* drive my car in a way that I believe Honda designed it to be driven...but I don't believe I abuse it.
That's da truth!

Who are you borrowing rims from? Hope that really is the issue with *that* noise. Of course, that popping is still needing to be addressed.

Get with VTECnology (Chris) as he had the same thing and is fixing it himself.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by airgate
Who are you borrowing rims from?...Get with VTECnology (Chris) as he had the same thing and is fixing it himself.
Mikey's lending me his...just gonna do a "hot swap" Wednesday evening, tool around a lil for a listen, then swap 'em back again.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Chris. I'll PM him!

- Dave
Old 12-18-2002, 04:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey hey now, I'm a clutch dropper . Hmmmmmm. 38000 miles huh? Do you have any form of extended warranty? I had both of my rear axles replaced at about 50000 miles under the extended warranty I have. You DO NOT want to have to buy new axles. They are over 500 dollars a piece. I really need to know more about the noise than you've told me so far. I've had a clicking, a clunking, and a resinating "wahwahwah" that was accompanied by a shaking in the car at highway speed. The wahwah I had would progressively shake the car (it was a suptle shaking, passengers couldn't even tell what I was talking about) depending on how fast I was accelerating. I really wish I could hear the noise first hand. If I had a set of smoked diffusers I could just come up there and we could make a day out of it. Honestly I wouldn't trust the dealer to find the problem. Their method usually entails removing and replacing until they finally make the problem go away. The rear end in an S2000 is different then other Hondas. I would take the rear axle out and slide the inner cv joint apart (just a little bit) and back together a few times to try and relocate some axle grease in there. while you're dissasembling it check for any play in the axle itself. If all seems well put it back together and torque the ever living shit out of the axle nut. A service bulletin came out not to long ago with revised torque figures for the axle nut. I can't remember exactly what the figure was but I can tell you it was ungodly high. I'll try to find out the exact number for you. Let me know if you need any help. I've got the next couple weeks off so I might be willing to make a little roadtrip.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by VTECnology
Hmmmmmm. 38000 miles huh? Do you have any form of extended warranty?
No.

You DO NOT want to have to buy new axles. They are over 500 dollars a piece.

You are correct...I don't wanna shell $$$ on what I've seen screwing up on quite a number of S2Ks

...and a resinating "wahwahwah" that was accompanied by a shaking in the car at highway speed. The wahwah I had would progressively shake the car (it was a suptle shaking, passengers couldn't even tell what I was talking about) depending on how fast I was accelerating.

At this point, I wouldn't say I'm noticing shaking...like something out-of-round, or such...but its definitely got a "shu...shu...shu...shu" sound that does not go away, whether creeping across a parking lot, pulling off a light, making a turn, or at higher speeds (although at higher speeds the revolutions move the "shu...shu...shu" to a fevered -- but low -- pitch that becomes an apparent humm rather than a discernable wahwahwah.

If I had a set of smoked diffusers I could just come up there and we could make a day out of it.

I would take the rear axle out and slide the inner cv joint apart (just a little bit) and back together a few times to try and relocate some axle grease in there. while you're dissasembling it check for any play in the axle itself. If all seems well put it back together and torque the ever living shit out of the axle nut. A service bulletin came out not to long ago with revised torque figures for the axle nut. I can't remember exactly what the figure was but I can tell you it was ungodly high. I'll try to find out the exact number for you.

Was 181ft/lb & then cranked up to something like 218 or 220ft/lb if I remember correctly. Whatever it was...I've had them retorque the hub nut at least 3 times now & I still get "the pop". They've also actually replaced the hub nut the last time (so said)...and "the pop" returned again. That "the pop" might be related is my guess. However, this "new sound" is not a variation of "the pop"...and appreciate that I don't think you were mixing the two...just wanted to clarify.

[B][QUOTE]Let me know if you need any help.
Old 12-18-2002, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
[B]I know some folks might ask me to describe this noise.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:25 AM

I have been dealing with the rear popping/snapping issue for 5 visits to the dealer now... they are claiming it's a new issue each time and are now trying to charge me for repairs.... is there any master list going of total number of owners that have had this problem? Honda definitely needs to address this issue.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by payyourtoll
[B]...But then again, this doesnt follow your idea of the increasing noise associated with axle spin as compared to the wheel spin.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
[B]Okay.

Quick Reply: Replaced rear end??? ...search SUX!!!