S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced headunit. After playing a song car won’t turn on.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced headunit. After playing a song car won’t turn on.

Just installed a new headunit in my 06’ shortly after playing a song and recording a video everything cuts off. dash lights up and MPH cycles through a bunch of numbers and flickers. Passenger airbag light flickers. There’s a really rapid ticking noise behind the steering wheel. When I press the start engine button everything turns off and back on again. No crank. No starter. Nothing. Fuel pump does activate but that’s about it. Can text videos if needed.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like your battery is dead
The following users liked this post:
Capoair (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 PM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Yes, charge or replace your battery.
The following users liked this post:
Capoair (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:11 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

You left the doors open, and the inside light on the whole time during install, didn't you? And the install took way longer than normal, and you ended up draining your battery.

The switch on the ceiling light will let you turn off the lights while doors are open. Recommend to do this whenever working on interior.

Don't jump start it, as the quick charge shock to your battery will shorten its life. Get a smart tender type charger, and let it charge up over the course of the 24+ hours it'll take to fully slow charge it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Car Analogy:
Capoair (08-03-2020), LagunaPearlAP2 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Rip. Y’all are 100% right on what I did. Install took more than a few hours since the previous wiring was a** backwards. Just picked up a new battery here’s to hoping it ends up working.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Capoair
Just installed a new headunit in my 06’ shortly after playing a song and recording a video everything cuts off. dash lights up and MPH cycles through a bunch of numbers and flickers. Passenger airbag light flickers. There’s a really rapid ticking noise behind the steering wheel. When I press the start engine button everything turns off and back on again. No crank. No starter. Nothing. Fuel pump does activate but that’s about it. Can text videos if needed.
replaced the battery and a relay. Starts up GOOD IN THE HOOD. Ty all much much much appreciated .
Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,104 Posts

My first question is what song did you play? Cause if it is dubstep, the car will suddenly have an identity crisis since it is obviously not a Subaru and is not filled with e-cig plumes.

Seriously though, on the jumping off thing, it is not really the battery that is the issue when jump starting this car. It is the high charging currents after you remove the jump pack (or other source) that can damage the rectifier in the alternator, which you will see via flickering of the dash. The battery should handle it just fine assuming it is not a lithium battery. This cars charging system is a little over sensitive to the effects of charging up a very low battery. More than any other car I have dealt with. I HAVE jump started mine after an issue before with zero issues but some have had issues with it. I didnt have a choice, since I was actually sitting in the parking lot of a convenience store that the city is trying to force shutting down due to high levels of violence, shootings and an owner they say allows gang activity to occur in his lot ... so I figured a potentially damaged alternator was better than being potentially shot or robbed lol. I had quite a crowd gathering around my bright yellow hot wheels car while we were getting it going again and it was not looking pleasant for us to say the least !!
The following 2 users liked this post by engifineer:
LagunaPearlAP2 (08-03-2020), USN_MSC (08-06-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 216 Likes on 138 Posts

Is it better to push start it than jump start it?
Old 08-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Originally Posted by RobM
Is it better to push start it than jump start it?
Doesnt really make a difference. It is the fact that the charging system has a high load on it after the jump start that causes the issues. Battery voltage is low and jump starting just gets the car started. A better/safer way to jump start any modern vehicle is to hook up the two cars, start the car being used to jump and allow it to run for a good 10-15 minutes to bring the battery up to voltage before trying to start the car being jumped. I did let the jumping vehicle run for about 10 minutes in my case which helped, but we were also just trying to get done and get out of there!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
My first question is what song did you play? Cause if it is dubstep, the car will suddenly have an identity crisis since it is obviously not a Subaru and is not filled with e-cig plumes.

Seriously though, on the jumping off thing, it is not really the battery that is the issue when jump starting this car. It is the high charging currents after you remove the jump pack (or other source) that can damage the rectifier in the alternator, which you will see via flickering of the dash. The battery should handle it just fine assuming it is not a lithium battery. This cars charging system is a little over sensitive to the effects of charging up a very low battery. More than any other car I have dealt with. I HAVE jump started mine after an issue before with zero issues but some have had issues with it. I didnt have a choice, since I was actually sitting in the parking lot of a convenience store that the city is trying to force shutting down due to high levels of violence, shootings and an owner they say allows gang activity to occur in his lot ... so I figured a potentially damaged alternator was better than being potentially shot or robbed lol. I had quite a crowd gathering around my bright yellow hot wheels car while we were getting it going again and it was not looking pleasant for us to say the least !!

The song was Panama by Felly