S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced Headlight

Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Replaced Headlight

Hello,

So my driver side headlight seems to have had the very common problem of getting a lot of condensation until it just looked nasty.. and started to take on a foggy color. Gross right? I can't believe I actually let it go that long.

So I ordered a new headlight assembly from Majestic Honda online and got it today. Side note: Holy CRAP I feel like I own a car with the least accessible headlight known to man. So anyways, after taking off my fender and taking a lot of screws and bolts off of the bumper and splash guard, I finally got the old one off. I then realize that I am going to have to switch the ballast and HID light over. That was fun considering the hazard warnings made me feel like I was inches away from death the whole time.

**Interesting Note: Aside from the cable that goes to the actual hid bulb, there is a second thin wire coming from the ballast. On the old setup. there was only 1 place this could go. On my new headlight, there were 2 prongs next to eachother. Also the part that holds the HID light is UPSIDE DOWN on the new one compared to the old one. It doesn't seem to have affected anything, but can somebody explain this to me?

So anyways I got that done, and put my brights bulb in with the rubber boot behind it and everything looked ready to go. So I take it out and hook it up to my car just to make sure all of the lights work before laboring through putting everything back together again (which looks like it's going to be a real pain)

HID works great, blinker works great. Bright does not work, and parking light does not work. The bulbs actually look good.. the filament does not appear to be damaged.

I'm going to pick up some new bulbs just in case, but could it be something else perhaps?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how much help I could be on the electrical issues except to ask if you checked your fuses, but in the interest of saving you a few hundred dollars on a brand new headlight, you know you could have just opened up your old headlight, let the condensation dry out and the re-seal it? If they're foggy on the outside, some plastic polish would have cleaned that up very easily.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camera obscura, thanks for the headsup. I honestly didn't realize this UNTIL I had already bought the new one, and had to do the HID swap. Somebody had told me once that on HID headlights.. it wasn't safe to open them and that you had to replace the whole thing. I suppose I should have done my own research. Ah well. The new one is quite shiney

Anyways, everything is cool now. Turns out that indeed the bulbs were blown. I got new ones today and just tried them out and they worked great. Hallelujah!

I do have an extra housing now tho.. If anybody is in need of one? Let me know and I'll part with it for a cheap price.