S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replaced Clutch & Brake Fluid Today

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Clutch & Brake Fluid Today

After changing the transmission & differential oils and reading others post they were changing their clutch fluid I picked up a bottle of brake fluid and changed both the clutch & brake fluids. My car is a 2004 but with only 9900 mi on it. Unlike many of the other cars my clutch fluid was pretty clean & not much sediment and dirt in the bottom. My brake fluid actually was darker than the clutch so rather than waste a 12 oz can of brake fluid I changed it out also. I say changed the fluids however I just sucked them dry with a turkey baster and refilled. I did the clutch a couple of times. My point is I guess in my car the years didn't hurt it as it is 8 years old now.

I have not driven the car much after changing fluids but I do believe the transmission shifts a little smoother. I have always been a little disappointed in the 1st-2nd shift and changing the transmission fluid didn't seem to make much if any difference. I read where the S2000 is known for it smooth short throw transmission but several owners here on this form and other forms criticize and say they have poor & notch y transmission including mine. I have driven manual cars since the 50's and owned many 4speed & 6speed Corvette so I am accustom to manual cars. I guess there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern but I wonder how some can be so much better than others.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake fluid change intervals are time based, not mileage. Eight years is very long.

Are you saying that you didn't touch the bleeders on the brake calipers?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Brake fluid change intervals are time based, not mileage. Eight years is very long.

This. The brake lines are much longer than the clutch line, so it's not sufficient just to suck and refill from the reservoir.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight

Nope didn't touch them and I am not going too I don't track the car, don't drive the car hard on the street. I plan on exchanging the fluid with a turkey baster when I can again in a few months but rest assure I am not worried I have done this to countless motorcycles and cars over the years. I have actually done it both was and yes the correct way is to bleed them until clear fluid flows. The point of my post was to say that the fluids and reservoirs were surprisingly fresh for 8 years with under 10K.