S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replace LR Half Shaft...Now ABS light on!

Old 03-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace LR Half Shaft...Now ABS light on!

Hey guys....my mechanic just replace my Driver Side Half Shaft (I had the Shimmy) but now my ABS is on. I read the DIY article and it said to be cafeful in pulling on the hub because you can break the ABS wires.

I assume this is what happened, but when the mech runs diagnostics on the ABS it show 52 codes! None pointing to the LR.

I never had an ABS light on before so even though the computer is reporting all this stuff, I still feel it is the wire to the LR ABS that is broke.

I took a look at the ABS sensor line and it goes into the Wheel Well but not sure where it goes from there. Does it have a connector and if so, where and how hard is it to get to? My Mech is going to replace the ABS sensor and wires to see if this fixes the issue.

Anyone else had this happen? My Mech is a little leary as the computer is reporting a bunch of stuff. If he didn't know me as well as he does he would not believe that my ABS light has never been on before I sure. I can't explain why it shows so much, I personally think it is reporting wrong as if it really had that many issues then the ABS light would have been on for a long time.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

He FU!@#$ up. A broken/shorted wire or a damaged ring is the most likely culprit.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The tech either damaged the sensor when he did the installation, or did not mount it correctly. I have done both.

The ASB sensor connector for the rears, are just inside the trunk behind the covers. You can remove the spare tire cover and spare tire to see that sides connector. It is orange. If you pull the cover back on the other side, you will find the connector on the otherside too.

You should remove and remount the sensors your self. It only takes a 10mm socket to remove the bolt that hold the sensor inplace. I found that I had not placed it right in the mount, and that caused it to sit 1/8" high. If the tech did not remove the sensor from the mount and pulled the 1/2 shafts, that will damage the wires for the sensor and it will need to be replaced. I did this too once.

It took 10mins to replace it. Remove the tire, remove the 10mm bolt. Open the trunk, remove the back cover from the the side you need to change, and disconnect the connector. Pull the connector through the gromet in the body and you are done. To install, just do it backwards.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys...I knew it was something he did. He said he will replace the wire but I might just do it myself to ensure it is done correctly. Thanks.