S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing Underbody Coating Crap....

Old 06-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

from my research there are 2 types of acid dips, one that just removed paint, plastic, etc and one that will remove rust and some metal. I wouldn't ever do the second one. I just want to remove all the sound deadoning crap.

Has anyone here every actually dipped a car before? I can't find many places that actually do it anymore. EPA has shut a lot of them down.

-Ry
Old 06-08-2003, 09:47 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

For the stuff on the bottom side of the floor plans, a pool of dry ice soup from the top should work great ............. that still leaves the other 75% of the car though .... it's a start, and maybe you'll come up w/ other ideas as you're doing that part of it ...
Old 06-08-2003, 10:05 AM
God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liquid nitrogen spray?

Liquid nitrogen is ultra cheap because it's a garbage gas.

I imagine you could rent a cylinder if it from a welding shop.
You will have a lot of area to cover so I think that would be all too much.

Just talk to them see if they have anything you can spray it with, without losing your fingers.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:20 AM

if you do bother to take it all apart, put it back together with aircraft grade or MIL spec titanium bolts, should save about 50-80lbs there, 80lbs is like the extreme but oh well.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
[B]from my research there are 2 types of acid dips, one that just removed paint, plastic, etc and one that will remove rust and some metal.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by RWD_RCKT
It was very reasonable cost wise... but your time is the BIG metric.
I too would love to take part in the Krazik car dismantling/assembly party!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:44 PM

One more hopefully useful idea. probably a little messy but this project cannot be made "clean" anyway.

i was flipping through the JC Whitney catalog and they sell a sandblaster unit. it can come with its own pump & regulator. i think that this may be the easiest way to go. i am sure you can rent them, but if you want to take the plunge, it is about $300 for a rolling sprayer (with pump and nozzle). you wil have to be very careful how much you remove, as you can start thinning the metal if you are not careful. it is best if you also put a thin coat of primer once you are done with the whole thing. you probably should get a high quality face mask for anyone involved, so you dont inhale the sand/dust or the primer.

you can buy 25 lbs of blaster sand as well, but i forget for how much. i am pretty sure that once it is empty you can reuse the stuff (a pain in the but for sure). you then will also need a high quality sweeper (or maybe those that are helping out can sweep as you blast!)

i think this is also safer than the liquid nitrogen since you do not run the risk of frostbite, suffocation (excess nitrogen CAN do that), or cracking welds or any plastic bits from thermal shock.

hope this helps and let me know how it goes,
bassem
Old 06-08-2003, 06:08 PM

If liquid nitrogen is too complicated logistically, you could try liquid CO2. Using a paintbally co2 tank (20oz or so in size) with an on-off valve would be a lot more manageable than trying to lug an entire bulk tank around under your car. I don't know how much other options would cost, but a 20 oz paintball tank should be avalible for under 50.
-Jon
Old 06-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ray:

All the stuff on the inside of the car is gone (floor board stuff).
Old 06-09-2003, 11:51 AM

Try Gumout Premium Steam Clean. It removed the coating off the frame rails(yes frame rails) on a car i had. Dont know what the coating was. A friend of mine who worked for Chevy said it was a wax-like material. Not sure it will work on the undercoating but at $4 a can its worth a try. If it doesnt work for the undercoating its the best engine cleaner Ive ever used and I highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Removing Underbody Coating Crap....