S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing Underbody Coating Crap....

Old 06-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Removing Underbody Coating Crap....

Any good solvent that removes this stuff? It's the stuff that is sprayed all under the car. I've heard of people getting acid baths for the frame, but I don't really want to strip my car to the chassis and then put it all back together.

Also what about the caulking that seems to be in-between a lot of our panels. Is this just for weather proofing? can I clean off the excess that is around the bead and the top of the beads?

TIA
-Ry
Old 06-05-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the eastwood catalog has multiple products just for this - but I remember in European car (i think) that their project 911 was a nightmare and they ended up having it sand-blasted or acid stripped or something after wrestling with the DIY products...
Old 06-05-2003, 05:27 PM
God

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
[B]Also what about the caulking that seems to be in-between a lot of our panels.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Administrator

my car rattles alot, and I don't care about water.

I could add welds to offset the Body adhesive.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Chlorinated Brake cleaner works O.K. Acetone or Denatured alcohol could also work. - Be prepared for a mess, It will take forever and be a very dirty job. I would use the brake cleaner or alcohol before using acetone just to preserve brain cells. The undercoating is a real treat to get off your hands when removing the spring spacers at PDI- the front spacers go all around the spring and are covered with this crap. I have seen your weight reduction campaign, This is definitely the hardest job for the smallest reward. You would have to weigh the car before and after to see the results, It would be real hard to weigh the black goo as you are scraping it off.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:54 PM

Aw, come on Rylan, why go half way? Take it apart, dip it, and seam weld it!
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 PM

something maybe a little of the wall. i removed that tar crap (very similar to undercoating) from the inside of my former subaru using a heat gun and a spatula (i think thats what it is called). a flat abs plastic thing. i cleaned up the rest using "goof off". it stank to high heaven and the sh!t made me halucinate for a couple of hours.

i got sick of doing it after the first half was done. a buddy of mine (and a darn good mechanic) removed the other half using liquid nitrogen and a hard plastic chisel. it came off surprisingly easy. the best way.

i guess the only problem with the liquid nitrogen is that it is hard for you to put it on the underside! unless you can get a spray nozzle and a rolling tank ($$$) it is probably impossible. if you can figure out some way of getting the area of the frame you are working on as cold as possible and chiseling, that would work too.

sorry if this was useless but just some ideas.

bassem
Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend of mine used dry ice and a chisel to remove the stuff from the inside of his race car, but this may not be any easier than liquid nitrogen.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:12 AM

Originally posted by Tedster
Aw, come on Rylan, why go half way? Take it apart, dip it, and seam weld it!
what he said
Old 06-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Administrator

ROFL!

I wish I could dip it, but I don't have the time or money to take e whole thing apart.

Maybe we could have a group "take rylans car apart day" and another "put rylans car back together day".

HA!

Quick Reply: Removing Underbody Coating Crap....